General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

QUESTIONS ON YOUR BENZ's I CAN TRY TO HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Default RE: QUESTIONS ON YOUR BENZ's I CAN TRY TO HELP!!

Mar,
Sorry i got confused which string i was in.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out to what the problems may be. I am pretty familiar with all the coding stuff with mercedes.Maybe i should invest in one. ha-ha.

Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Hi, Mar,
Being trying to sort out a problem for a while and would appriciate your thoughts on it.
I have a 1996 S500 with 180,000 miles. At idle there is a annoying vibration from the engine which causes everything to shake. This goes out of it at over 1000 rpm.
I left it into my local Mercedes Dealer and they diagnosed a faulty knock sensor and oxygen sensor. I replaced both of each and it is still the same.
Engine mounts are good, new coils, new spark plugs and connectors and a new MAF and sign of a vacumn leak.
Any ideas?? also when youfloor the throttlefrom a standstill there is a "lag" of about a second before she reacts.
Looking forward to hearing from you
Regards Brian.
PS it is an Irish car which may be different to the US spec.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Hi Mar - welcome - you are a brave man. I hope you can answer my question before you are burried in questions from fellow forum members How do you remove the cigar lighter in 04 s class? Thank you.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 PM

Thanks Mar, Had it to Dealer, it was control arm links, one broken, one with lots of play. Bad potholes here in Nova Scotia. It was about $700. completely fixed. My B200 had a broken coil spring from Potholes as well. That was about $460 Fixed.

Bad winter.

Hope your new shop goes well.

Trygve

Old 03-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

Okay, no vacuum leak, MAF Sensor is new, engine mounts are new, and plugs and wires are new as well. GOOD JOB first of all!!! Now what I would do is check fuel pressure, and if that's okay...make sure that the fuelpressure regulator is not defective. IfALL fueldelivery system isokay thenI WOULD SUGGESTION FUEL INDUCTION SERVICE. This cleans up a lot of your carbon build-up which causes drivabilityproblems such as yours.A car with 180K, and you've never had fuel induction service...I wouldstrongly recommend it. I cleans upyou throttle body, injectors, piston crown,valves,etc.... Are you sure there's no vacuum leak??? I would visit that...recheckingany workis always a goodrule of thumb coz WE'RE NOT PERFECT!!!

take care,
-mar-

Old 03-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

Buy the new cigarette assembly, and remove the ashtray assembly (2 torx screws size 20). FOR ME, the way they designed it...it's almost a one shot deal. You almost have to mangle the old one, and install the new one. MOST OF THE TIME, you can bent the tabs inside if the coil is not heating up properly.

take care,
-mar-

Old 03-16-2008, 07:30 PM

I'd appreciate all the help I can get on this. Girlfirend's 2005 C240 4matic lease is ending in May. Service B is needed and I wanted to do everything myself. I changed the oil and filter with no problem, topped off brake fluid which was a bit low, but for the life of me I can't get to the power steering fluid reservoir. I have no idea where it is. My girlfriend has been negligent in dealing specifically with the power steering which has been whining and making noises for some time now. Unfortunately now the car is making terrible loud noises when turning the wheel even a centimeter. Car is starving for some fluid I bet. Even when the car is idle, it makes a nasty noise as I assume the pump is trying to pump something that isn't there. Can someone please direct me to where the reservoir is and how to top it off? I called the local dealer twice to get this info and twice they wouldn't tell me. They did say that I can bring in the car for the Service B which cost almost $600 even though I did all of the service practically.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

If you open up the hood...it should be located on the right hand side towards the front of the engine. If you follow the serpentine belt...one of those pulleys drive your power steering pump, and the reservoir should be next to it. Hope this help...

Power Steering fluid:
MB Power Steering Fluid
MB Part No. BQ 1320001
Pentosin CHF 11S

take care,
-mar-

Old 03-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Banned

I'd like to visit there one of these days. Thank you for the support!

take care,
-mar-

Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 PM

Hi Mar,

I started a new thread before I found your offers, re: engine in my 1990 300TE starts then shuts off until I recrank it a few seconds later. It will run for about 1 second after 3 seconds of cranking then stop. When I disconnected the battery for 3 hours it then started and ran for about4 seconds and stopped. After leaving it overnight it ran for about7 seconds then stopped (thought it was fixed...). I believe it is fuel related (had a couple of confirmations about that).

I am thinking a sensor that detects if the engine is running (oil, tach, position?) but I haven't been able to find a reference to such a thing in the books I brought on the road with me. I won't be able to get back to it until this weekend.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Quick Reply: QUESTIONS ON YOUR BENZ's I CAN TRY TO HELP!!