New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New Guy with 2000 S500 Airmatic Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Default New Guy with 2000 S500 Airmatic Issue

Hi Folks. I am new to the forum as well as to Mercedes ownership. I am a retired Ford Engineer and just purchased my first non-Ford in 30 years.
It is a 2000 S500 with an immaculate body and only a few minor mechanical issues.

However, a new problem just popped up which is not minor. On the way back from a trip to San Diego, the "Car too low. Stop, etc" message came on. As I was in the middle of the desert, I continued to the next exit. As I drove, the warning went off, but came back on as I pulled off the exit. When I examined the vehicle, the right front fender was about 1 1/2 to 2 inches lower relative to the tire than the left front. I managed to limp the car home with no apparent damage and promptly logged onto this forum that I had discovered a couple of weeks ago.

I found similar issues reported here, but none that matched exactly and I am in need of experienced advice. When I open the driver door, the air pump kicks in and the vehicle raises slightly, but again higher on the left front than right front. I actuated the raise vehicle switch on the dash and the vehicle raises further, but again, less on the right front. when I switch the ignition off, I can hear the right front suspension vent the air pressure and the that corner drops all the way down until the suspension bottoms out. I pulled the front fender liner and examined the control valve unit for leaks and could not detect any leaks. I also examined the top of the strut for cracks or evidence of leaks (sprayed with soapy water) and got nothing there.

Any ideas from Mercedes guru's out there?

Thanks for any help