General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Metal Shavings

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Default RE: Metal Shavings

I use the same, or 0W30, so the oil is OK. Mobil 1 and other syn oils coat the inside of the engine much beter then dino oil, so better protection. Personally, I think pumping of the dipstick, if you have a good suction, will draw out most "junk" Besides, If Mercedes does it as well as some other manufactuers, I don't feel it is a cost cutting measure. As I doubt Mercedes would do it unless it has been tested and proven safe. They want to save money, as most companies do. But their not stupid either. If it wasn't safe for the engine, imagine what the cost of replacing engines would cost. Back when the V6 first came out Mercedes didn't notify their dealers to use syntheic oil only in these engines. there were some engine failures as Dino oil can't do 10K and not breakdown. I received an extended warranty to 150K miles on my V6 due to this "oversight." So IMHO pumping is fine as long as your patient, if you have a hand pump and get as much oil as you can out of the sump. I think I have noticed the last 1/2 or less never quite gets pumped out. But your adding 9 quarts, so I don't think this is a problem?
ORIGINAL: tpero

I'm using Mobil 1 0W-40.
--Tom

Old 12-29-2005, 01:14 PM

I always carefully look at the drained oil. I've never seen any debris on my 280.

To rid of metal shaving and other undesirable, you can always try AutoRx. I've never heard any complaints about it. Downside is, during the curing and cleaning period, you have to have dino oil in the engine. That period is 1,000 to 2,500 miles only, so you will be fine since it doesn't take long. Once the engine is clean, you can go back to Syn.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:22 PM

Never heard of AutoRX have any other information or website address?

Old 12-29-2005, 08:20 PM

You guys don't have to get all defensive. I implied that the oil probably wasn't sucked out using proper procedures, leading to the build up of debris. If done properly, it is an accepted way of removing old oil. But it still isn't as thorough as draining.

Any good or accepted system can be circumvented when you let weenies loose on their own with little to no oversight/supervision. Most dealership techs get paid by flat rates, not by the hour. The techs who change oil are the inexperienced ones. Put this all together and see what it adds up to. A new, inexperienced tech trying to make money by working fast in a shop that provides inadequate oversight and feedback.