General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Metal Shavings

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Default Metal Shavings

No real question here...just a comment.

My 2001 C240 is now out of service warranty, so I did the next scheduled oil/filter change myself. MB supposedly did all other oil changes under the warranty.

I have changed the fluids in all my cars all my life. This the first time I ever had metal shavings get on my hands. It felt like little splinters until I got them all out of my skin.

I'm none too happy about this. Do you think MB never really change the oil or what?

Yes, I draind the oil from the pan.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Metal Shavings

They suck the used oil up through the dipstick tube. It's a cheap-*** corner-cutting technique that results in shavings being left behind in the pan.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

But is metal shaving in the oil normal?

Old 12-27-2005, 10:34 PM

A little bit between changes is normal, especially when new. It can build up over time if you don't suck the oil out properly. I suspect that's what's happened in this case. This dealer cut corners on a procedure that cuts corners.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

oh.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:20 AM

Doing the oil change yourself is so easy and clean (assuming your oil filter is up top) if you have the right tools. I'm not a fan of sucking oil out. Plus, a Service A which is basically all an oil change, starts at $230 here. A Service B is an oil change and inspection of the wiper blade for only 400 some dollars. I did the math and I figured that the dealer near me charges customers more than $170 to check their wiper blade. That reminds me, I got to make an appointment for serivce at the dealer. HAHA

Old 12-28-2005, 10:15 AM

I agree. Draining the oil by removing the plug is the only way to go.
Someone else posted that it's a good way to get a head's up on what else may be going on under there.
Thanks for all comments.

And yes, Do your research first any shadetree mechanic can handle an oil/filter change and check the fluids/blades.
--Tom

Old 12-28-2005, 10:50 AM

... either that or a bearing is about to poop the shoot.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:00 PM

I suck out the oil when I change my oil and filter every 5K miles on my 99 C280 and never found any metal shavings. But every second or third oil change I have it changed at a local Mercedes garage, and I asked them to check for metal shavings and have never been told there were any. But when I bought my car it had 20K plus miles so it was "broken in". You can buy magnets either to wray around the filter, or a megnetic drain plug (metric treads) that will really show you how much shavings are in the engine. Some good advice on these post, check brake fluids, antifreez, power steering, which reminds me, I need to top off the power steering every 10K miles or so, no leaks, I had it checked. Anyone else esperiece this?, Also check the wiper blades. The Mercedes Benz dealer charges $140 for this service. When I have the local shop change the oil via the pan and check all the above, $65. If I bring my own filter, or $80 if not. What weight oil are you using?

Old 12-28-2005, 06:19 PM

I'm using Mobil 1 0W-40.
--Tom

Quick Reply: Metal Shavings