Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Please help! considering buying mercedes wagon

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Default Please help! considering buying mercedes wagon

Hi i'm newly looking into the mercedes world. i'm currently own and maintain a saab 900 turbo but am looking for a bigger vehicle and diesel as well.

I can do lots of mechanical work but do not want my time to be taken up too much. Either way here's the situation:

I'm considering a 1987 mercedes 300TD wagon with a 3rd seat and ~177k on it. I know it's been sitting in the garage a bit with a few leaks under it. one is a huge transmission leak which the poinformed me it wasn't from this car and one small oil leak. These things i was assured by the po we would look into further before any dealswe're made.

The car has always been garaged ans looks realgood as far as paint and rust goes (a small bit of surface rust on one fender and a bit down underneath the passenger floor)

It seems to drive with a slight pull to the right and you can visibly see oil or even diesel or something dripping along side of what looks like the injection area. anyway if the leaks turn out to be nothing of major concern what other things should i look at? i have the option of putting it on a lift and looking more thoroughly. This car i believe was idling at 1.5-2. i know that could be a bit tempermental considering it has been sitting and probably needs some new oil. This car also has some really nice newer MB wheels and tires. I would like to look into a conversion as well, using the spare tire compartment hopefully for a another tank.

I know about the head problem and what would be the best way to check for that? Sorry for the long email but i'm looking at this car because my family is expanding and i need the space and security of a nice wagon and really do not have a lot of money but looking for what will work for us right now. This car has an asking price of 8,500.00. what does anyone think?

please any advice would be greatly appreciated. What i'm thinking is the resale is incredibly good on this so i don't think i can lose too much by going for it and seeing what happens.

Oh i forgot to mention supposedly the transmision has a 3,000 dollar rebuild on paper in the documents. also should i ask for the vin # before anything and where would be a good place to check it out?

Thanks and Regards,

Kwake

Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Default RE: Please help! considering buying mercedes wagon

to much$$ that price it should be like new IMAO 4k more like it

Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Default RE: Please help! considering buying mercedes wagon

Completely agree w/ lwbrewer.Car would need to be *perfect* and very low mileage for that kind of money. Keep looking...