Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

77' 300D Wouldnt Run at Idle now wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Default 77' 300D Wouldnt Run at Idle now wont start.

So I just picked up a 1977' 300D from a lady who said the car was over heating so she shut it off and it wouldnt start again. Now that I have it I got it to start up but it was tough and you had to be on the gas for it to run, after a few minutes of giving it gas I tryed to let it idle and it just died. Now it wont start back up again. Its fine on gas and took out the air filter because it looked quite old and dirty.

Now I know it should be getting air and should be getting gas. Im leaning towards it needing new fuel filters, what do you guys think?

PS - What is the little **** on the dash right next to the stearing wheel for?

Thanks ahead of time for the help
James

Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Default RE: 77' 300D Wouldnt Run at Idle now wont start.

UPDATE - I replaced both the Fuel filters and the air filter to no avail. Now the glow plug light isnt comming on and I know the thing has new glow plugs in it. Please let me know what you think, I want to get this thing started!

Thanks a lot
James

Old 03-26-2008, 09:02 PM

UPDATE - Im talking to myself!
No really though, I have narrowed down the issue to the ground on the glow plug relay not working. I found this jerry rigged peice of wire which looks to have been grounding the relay. It must have fallen off of it. After testing it I had no luck, and I inadvertantly touched the wrong post on the relay and burnt the fuse out.

Had any one else delt with this problem?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Wouldn't you know, the #5 Glow plug was burnt out. Now Im upgrading to the Pencle style kit they sell at dieselgiant.com.

For future reference for any one with a similar problem, so they wont wast countless hours an non-sense like I did:
- If the Glow plug light is not lighting up its one or all of these; Burnt Out Glow Plug, Burnt Out Fuse, Bad Relay or bad glow plug light bulb (Most often it will be a bad/burnt out glow plug)
- To see if your glow plug/s are burnt out simply test with a volt meter, .1 - 1 Ohm is good, if its 0 its burnt out, if its infinity (-.1, etc...) then its grounded out. Always take into count that the ohm meter itself has a resistance, check to see what it is before you test. I thought all my plugs were good intill I realized that the ohm meter has a .4 ohm resistance, going back I realized the very 1st plug was burnt out.
- If you arent sure if your glow plugs are burnt out or good then dont be afriad to pull those bad boys out and look at them. All you will need is a 8mm and a 19mm wrench and it only takes a few minutes. If you have loop style plugs you should clearly see that the plug is burnt out. If its not visable hook it up to a battery and see if it glows (Make sure you aren't holding it in your hand at this point)
- On older Mercedes (75-81) 300/240D's the relay is under the stearing wheel behind the kick panel (Not In the Engine bay)
- The easiest way to see if your relay is burnt out is to simply listen for a "Click" noise when you put the key to the glow plug possition
- If your car is running rough, change the fuel filters, for under $8 bucks for both at Car Quest, its a no brainer

Best of luck
James