Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Considering buying a SLK

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Default Considering buying a SLK

I just wanted to ask for some input from people that have/had SLKs. I am currently looking for a 2001-2004 SLK 230 or 320 with a 6 spd manual transmission. I don't drive much on a daily bases, so this car is just for enjoyment. But this will be my primary car, and i want something that will last me a good while, especially since i will be paying a good amount for it. I've been paranoid about the hard top breaking on me. Noiseness doesn't concern me, but any other malfunctions/problems do. My current car is a porsche 944 (which i love) and it has spent more time with a mechanic than on the road. I'd rather not have a repeat of becoming great friends with the service department at my local mercedes dealership, like i did with porsche.

I am still not sure between the 320 and the 230, i would love the power of an AMG but since its only automatic, i am left with the 230 and 320. How is the power and acceleration in a 230? Can the power be relatively easily increased in either car? how?

Other cars i've been looking at are the AudiTT Quatro, Subaru STI ("screw the looks, i want performance" attitude), Porsche Boxster, and BMW 328, and a Corvette. I know the SLK isn't the fastest car compared to these, but like my girl friend said, the hard top convertible roof is hot.

So if you have an opinion (good or bad) about SLK230 or 320 please let me know. I've been looking for a perfect SLK for about 4 months now, and i have finally found a 2002 (23k miles) SLK230 for $25k which i like but i would have to fly to get it, so that would be my first and only chance to see it. Its still under warranty, and i would buy an extended warranty for it. Which actually brings me to another question, has anyone had experience with third party extended warranties for Mercedes? I know my local MB dealership offers extended warranties through C&A, but i can't find any information about them. I've looked at warrantydirect and the price seems reasonable.

I am in north carolina, so if you're getting rid of a 6spd manual slk anywhere on the east coast, i would happily fly for it.

THank you in advance, and sorry this post is a bit random.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Considering buying a SLK

seems SLK230 Kompressor is more common compared to SLK320.

too much power to handle on SLK320 for a manual transmission.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:12 PM

Sleepwalker, do you mean the manual transmission isn't very good on the slks? Do you know how much power the clutch is rated for? I know this can be a problem on some cars, but i figured since the slk320 is under 230hp it wasn't even an issue. I drove a couple of slk320s, the manual transmission felt fine, but i didn't push it too hard. I figured that there is no way mercedes would throw in a crappy clutch into their roadster, but stranger things have happened. The only weak point i have found so far for the slks is their lack of power (excluding the amg version of course).

Old 01-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

the transmission is very good.

but if you test drive a 230 kompressor and 320, they are both sluggish at the first milliseconds.

the 230 will have to actuate the variable camshaft and the flap for the charged air and lose those quick response which you are looking for. but once you hear that kompressor business hum, you might hesitate to step on further more.

the 320 is almost the same... the only difference is that you get the full power from normal aspirated engine.

111 is 4 cyl. lighter, and low maintenance cost. many known problems such as noise from the camshaft gear once the rubber liner is worn out, check engine light due to low threshold value on control unit design (later was modified), and the variable camshaft actuator solenoid which makes a small jackhammer noise when worn out.

112 is 6 cyl. reliable, smooth running, and good power at cruising speed / overtaking. a bit bulky but light enough. if done a good service maintenance regularly, will never give you any headache.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:32 PM

Why don't you consider a new SLK350? Much better than previous years..true sports car. Loads of power and handles great.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

good looking too.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:23 AM

Slk320 and 230 are a lot cheaper now, especially since the 350s came out.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:37 AM

Dont buy an SLK - its a Girls car [sm=rant.gif] and unreliable too[sm=lame.gif]
Treat yerself to a British Jaguar XK8 and look cooler too[sm=trust_me.gif][sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 03-13-2005, 04:07 AM

Yea, then you can join the Jag Forum.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: CLK_Sous

Yea, then you can join the Jag Forum.
Been a Jag forum member for last 6 years pal.
should never have sold my XJ8 supercharged
120,000 miles - no troubles [sm=noooo.gif]
Its was faster 155mph,more comfortable,cooler,
roomier,sexier, AND A *** SITE MORE RELIABLE[sm=shutup.gif]

Quick Reply: Considering buying a SLK