Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

'79 300sd driver front window regulator

Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Default '79 300sd driver front window regulator

Hi Ya'll,

Wondering if someone would be kind of enough to spare some advice...

1979 300sd 415,XXX miles

My driver side front window stopped going up and down. I tried to push it up myself but it will not stay and slides back down. Any suggestions on how I can get the window to at least stay up so no one can rip off my cd player?

Thanks,

Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Default RE: '79 300sd driver front window regulator

You'll need to either replace the mechanism or the motor. Unfotunately you can't buy just the gear, which is likely what is stripped. The mechanism runs about $200 and you can get the motor for about $75. To get it to stay up in the meantime, take off the interior door panel and run a couple zip ties together and then down between the door and the window, through the mechanism (with the window held up) and then thread the other two ends of the ties together and tighten them down. That should hold it until you get your parts.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM
sfk
Default RE: '79 300sd driver front window regulator

Wait one second. I am pretty much an expert at this problem.

First, Check and replace the fuse under the hood. I have seen this problem several times. The fuse may NOT blow, however, the old fuses corrode and limit the electric current and the windows may not work. Normally, when this happens, you can NOT open the rear passenger side window either.

Second, Check the up/down switch. These go frequently. The easy thing to do is swap the switch from the other side.
If you are CAREFull. (I recommend doing at kitchen table with paper towels on bottom), you can use a screw driver and carefully pop the side open untill the top of the switch pops out. (there are two plastic center pieces that keep it in the rectangular chamber. Then file the contacts (watch you don't loose the springs) and put back and voila, this is usually the problem

Third, Since the window wasn't working you likely then pull it up off the track. OR, if the door at the bottom is rusted out, the track fell off and the window fell down. You need to take the door panel off. (Should take apr. 25 mins).

Lastly, In all my years, I still have not come across a motor that has burnt out but that would be my last guess.

Scott