New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Considering Buying a 1977 Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Default Considering Buying a 1977 Mercedes

Hello fellas. New guy from Mendenhall MS. I am considering buying a 1977 Mercedes. I haven't even seen the car but was told by a friend who just bought the car from an elderly widow (family member) that it's a 4 door car with a big V8 in it. Leather Interior. 77,000 miles. Been parked for 12 yrs under a carport after the old man (the widow's deceased husband) died. My friend who bought the car said he and his uncle opened the hood and poured some gas in the carb (gas tanks rotted out) and hooked up some jumper cables, that it fired right up and ran until the gas was burned up. He said that 3 of the tires still had air in them. He called it a hard top..not sure why because it's not a convertible. Anyway, he said there was some slight surface rust on the paint. He said it was kind of a gold color and when I asked him what the model numbers were on it he said he was pretty sure it was a 450 SEL. He and I looked on the internet at a couple different models sold in 77 and he picked out the 450 SEL as the car he was selling me.

Neither he nor I know anything about Mercedes cars...he just bought it because the widow was tired of looking at it in the carport. I think she must have hung onto it for a while since it belonged to her husband, but suddenly decided it had to go.

He hasn't even picked up the car yet because he doesn't have anywhere to put the car either so he offered to sell it to me for the price he paid.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if you guys could tell me anything about the car before I go to look at it.

Are there certain models, or VIN numbers or characteristics that I should look for in this old car...like maybe finding the one last remaining model of a certain brand driven by Rock Hudson or something like that.

Just kidding of course, but still....any pointers? Rough Value? Good - Bad.

I have no intentions of fixing it up...just thinking I can buy it and sell it quickly as is. Wondering whether or not my purchase price is good enough to let me do that.

Would rather not say how much I paid just now, but will after I hear some responses.