Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Performance Filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by compfxr
I did this due to long life of the product, simple maintenance every 50K miles.
That is completely false. 50k miles is the LIFE of the filter, it must be SERVICED every 10k miles to maintain any filtration ability.

I did gain a nice bump in fuel mileage. I went from 11 city / 15 hwy. (avg) to 14 city / 17 hwy (avg) not huge increases but enough.
Does it save you enough money to offset the cost of premature replacement of the vehicle/engine due to increased engine wear?

I feel that there is a crisper throttle response
Sorry, that is physically impossible. The factory filter is not a restriction to power, especially at low RPM.

K&N does supply a lot of super car manufactures with their air filters.
Supercars are not regularly driven, nor are they driven in severe conditions most cars see every day on the roads.

I think the reason you don't see them in mainstream cars is strictly cost.
False. They are not used because they have extremely poor filtration quality and manufacturers would not be able to meet required warranty durability.

The current type that are used are being bought at pennies on the dollar as opposed to, even at bulk pricing K&N is not a cost effective product for mass production. (Just my opinion)
And a very mislead(ing) one at that with zero basis in the real world.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by ED209
Dear All,

I recently saw a commercial about performance K&N parts, I believe air and fuel filters is what they're selling. These parts supposedly add some HP and enhance the sound of the engine.

My questions are:

1. Will these parts increase the wear on the engine thereby reducing the lifespan?
2. Would you recommend this for a 2007 ML350?

Thanks and regards,
NSZ
K&N filters will not harm your engine unless you fail to use them as designed i've used these filters for over 30 years having to clean them rather than add to our landfills is a big thing for me, they will flow more air then stock filter with better filtration since it's filter has oil to help trap the small dust particles. I'm just saying they have been around for a long time they must be doing something right.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorBenz
with better filtration since it's filter has oil to help trap the small dust particles..
Totally wrong!
ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

I'm just saying they have been around for a long time they must be doing something right
Many junk, misleading and outright fraudulent products have been out for a long time. The Tornado Air intake tubulator is a prime example; its been flat out proven to produce only negative results in every engine and all their claims false, yet its still for sale more than a decade after introduction and still sells in significant number. Must be a good product? NOPE!