Performance Filters - Page 2 - Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 AM

Default K&N on Dailr Ride? Hardly.

New to M-B and first forum post, and I realize this is an older thread but,,

I have restored BMW 2002's over the years and only once did I consider going to K&N filters for the so-called performance improvement. After about 2,000 miles, the inside of the filter was just about as dirty as the outside.

Figuring that dust on the inside would probably continue to migrate into the engine, I went back to the OEM approved units.

K&N may be desirable for off-road racing, etc., but I would hardly recommend them on one's daily ride.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM

First post on this forum, and I'm glad I checked this. I was about to order a CAI or something for my 2009 ML350, but from the sounds of things that's not a good idea on this platform. I'm more well-versed in motorcycle performance, and the filter designs are radically different. K&N is the gold-standard in something like that, in a lot of ways, but apparently not the case in the world of MB. Whatever, saves me money. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:17 PM

It applies to all engines, not just Mercedes.
If a paper filter is properly sized for the amount of air it needs to flow, there is NO advantage to a K&N.

K&N got its reputation for "more power" back in the carburetor days of the 70's when air filters were extremely small for engine sizes offered and located on top of the hot engine.

Modern vehicles are very well designed and its extremely rare to find a poorly designed air filter system because it will hinder fuel economy and increase emissions to have a restrictive air filter design.

Motorcycles are a bit different. They are extremely limited in available space and have a very high engine airflow compared to a car. Manufacturers often compromise with smaller air filter(s) to reduce noise and prevent water from getting in.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 03-15-2016 at 11:20 PM.