General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Performance Filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Default Performance Filters

Dear All,

I recently saw a commercial about performance K&N parts, I believe air and fuel filters is what they're selling. These parts supposedly add some HP and enhance the sound of the engine.

My questions are:

1. Will these parts increase the wear on the engine thereby reducing the lifespan?
2. Would you recommend this for a 2007 ML350?

Thanks and regards,
NSZ

Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 PM

Dear ED209,
if you love your ML, please don't do it.
It would be same thing as driving without filter. Just take your stock filter box off and see how nice the engine will sound, almost as a racing car and it will increase some hp.
YES, for No.1.
NO, for No.2.
I don't think K&N design engineers (if they even have any) are better then the ones working for Mercedes Benz.
I would stay away these jokes.
How can they add hp by diferent fuel filter? Your fuel rail has constant pressure of about55psi and I believe the fuel pressure regulator is build into your oem filter.
More air into manufold and your computer will atomatically supply more gas to keep same mixture ratio so throttle respond is there but I don't know about fuel economy.
Maybe other members who tried and use K&N product have different opinion.
Good luck.
Bernard

Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 AM

Thanks gents for your replies...I do love my car and the last thing I wanna do is wear it out. Looking at the stats from the link provided and by your explanations I just realized how bad these filters could actually be for the car. Not to mention all the dirt buildup that could accumulate. Even if the issue WAS debatable, frankly its not worth the risk...

Thanks Again,
NSZ

Old 01-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I thought that it was the oil that you treat the K&N air filters with that actually attracts the dirt to the filter element. I changed to a KN air filter in my 560SL with my mechanic's blessing (MB cert), but then again, I only drive it about 3-4,000 miles per year. Since mine is not a race engine that will be rebuilt frequently, I'm likely going to change back to the stock MB filter.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM

If K&N filters are the magic cure all giving
Better fuel economy
More Power
quicker acceleration
Longer engine life.
1,000,000 warranty (the filter and not the engine)

One has to wonder why major auto manufactures have not used K&N filters nor cloned them, since either way the cost would be the same. Certainly they have tried them.

Bill

Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 PM

What about the oil itself; what keeps it from getting sucked into the engine (and messing up the mixture!)?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:10 PM

There is also a reason why you shouldn't get an oiled air filter, the hotwire air flow sensor can get oiled up and then burn out.

Plus K&N stands for the inventors 'Ken and Norm' would you trust Ken and Norm with your Merc?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 AM

Never Run a K&N air filter on a benz!! You have no idea how many times I have seen the oil on a K&N ruin a Mass Air Flow Sensor. Buying a K&N air filter will just result in a $500+ repair to replace you MAF.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM

The Oil in the K&N can actually be passed to the air Mass meter and damage it, I have seen this a few times, K&N is only good if you plan to keep it clean, and a typical person that drives about 200-400 miles a week needs to do this weekly. For most it is just too much of a hassle, and the benefits aren't worth the effort, just buy your paper filters in bulk and keep your airbox clean

Last edited by Silverfox99; 04-01-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:55 PM

Have to say I agree with all of this. K+N filters are just no good.

I did run one for a while and found it great for the first few runs but progressively more and more restrictive. Stick with the standard setup. Removing the airbox will just allow more heat soak and running a K+N will likely destroy your MAF sensor.

The amount of time / research and money that goes into the design is huge. You won't better it.

That said, removing restriction from the air box to your throttle body will help, an aftermarket silicone hose for example, but even that won't change your world.

Quick Reply: Performance Filters