General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

K & N Air Filter's help :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 02:49 AM
Default K & N Air Filter's help :)

Hi all pro's, hey I got some mercedes tech giving me a hard time about running the K & N (life time) Air filter. He say it will damage my engine ? I think it's BS. I have one running in my Ford V10 F250, Volvo S80 T6, Porscha boxster,. And the rest of the cars I have owned in the past. This filter has a lower micron reading than any paper filter I know of, and still gets better performance. Do you guys have any opinion ???????
Sleepwalker, what do you do think ?[]

Old 10-23-2004, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: K & N Air Filter's help :)

i only know know that in older model which uses carburetor, it is good SANDDOG.

recently i haven't seen them anymore.

for as long as the filter doesn't breakdown to pieces and enter the engine, i don't think it will cause any problem.

if the filter is too dirty or clogged, it will greatly reduce the engine power due to restricted intake of air... only on this reason i think.

Old 10-23-2004, 03:15 AM

Thanks Sleepwalker, should'nt you be sleeping ?, Anyhow Yes I clean and Oil every 25,000 or so. The filter seems to last about 4 or 5 cleanings. Its a great product. I can't see how this filter will effect the fuel injection system in any way, other then when it starts to deteriorate. OK you have better questions to deal with then mine. Now I can sleep at night..[8D] Thanks from Calif, Monterey bay

Old 10-23-2004, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

wow...monterey peninsula, is it?

i remember eating canned tuna from there before.

you got a boat too? sounds like a good place to retire and have fun.

Old 10-23-2004, 11:09 AM

If your car is a later model that uses a mass air flow sensor and intake air temperature sensor, then the you must be sure not to put too much oil on the filter. Excess oil can flow from the filter to the sensors and cause them to puke or become permanently damaged. Otherwise, a K&N filter won't cause any problems, just as they haven't on your other cars.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:46 AM

I use K&N on my vehicles, including my Harley. I also use synthetic oil & have had mechanics tell me the same thing about the oil. "You'll ruin your engine with that stuff". I'd have to say that your mechanic is just plain "uneducated" about K&N filters & is probably trying to get you to buy a stock one from him!

Old 10-26-2004, 10:27 PM

Hey Sleepwalker, I love tuna just about anykind[8D] .My favorite food is sushi. And no boat. Please don't retire here it's expensive to live. Maybe Oregon ?

Old 10-26-2004, 10:37 PM

Hi Aharley1 and welcome, I do most of my own work, and at times with the help of this forum. Lugnut, made a good point concerning over oiling these filter's. And he's right, only oil the intake side and be sure to let dry in the sun.
I think that a lot of K & N user's don't dry the filter enough, then they have problems like Lugnut is referring too.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:13 PM

Good point. I've never had any problems with K&N filters. Having some hydraulics experience, it's hard to imagine too much filtering of fluids or air.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:13 AM

Your Mechanic is right. The K&N Filters capability to filter leaves much to be desired. If you are trying to save some money by buying a reusable filter, than you are looking at false economy. Mercedes Air Filters last for a relatively long time and are not that expensive.

If you are looking to gain some additional HP, then you could gain even more horespower by not using any filter at all. Not a good idea however.

Stick to the original Mercedes Air Filter, your engine will last longer.

Quick Reply: K & N Air Filter's help :)