Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

2002 ML320 Duplicate Key Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Default 2002 ML320 Duplicate Key Needed

OK, so we bought a 2002 ML320 last week (Feb. 2015). It was a very nice looking vehicle with only 46,000+ miles -- a certified one owner vehicle. We couldn't resist.

Anyway, it only came with one set of keys, the flip blade attached to the remote fob. The car starts (or should i call this model a truck?), but the remote originally was not working. My wife just followed the simple owner's manual instructions to re-sync and all is working again.

I just got off the phone with the local dealership and the price for a new key/remote fob is $179 parts PlUS a whopping $121 labor for programming. GOBSMACKED! Very steep indeed.

The price quote for a secondary key (valet? - mickey mouse) with the transponder chip in plastic housing is "only" $45+. I am most likely going to get two of these and pass on the fob/blade unit for now. As far as I know, the secondary key will start the car and unlock all individual doors, but maybe not the glove box? Can someone verify this for me?

One other question. The dealership was kind of vague, but do you know if they can also provide a "blade only" key that will mechanically unlock individual doors and nothing else? From my understanding, an unchipped cut metal key blade is a great 'emergency' lockout device. That leads me to a followup. Given the 8 key limit on these models, can I just order a key blade off ebay and have a local store, like walmart or home depot/lowes cut me a simple blade backup? I don't see a problem with that. If so, what could I be missing?

And one last question. I've seen used remote key fobs for sale on ebay (Keyless4u.com is one site). Is it possible to purchase one of these, as long as the FCC ID and part number matches the original, and program the Remote Keyless Entry system manually? I'm not really too concerned about the blade and chip which interfaces with the DAS...I'm getting that key from the dealership remember? All I want is another working keyless remote fob, even if the flip blade attached does not function. I can always put the secondary key and the remote on the same key chain.

That leads me to one last (and final) question. Does the transponder chip, which communicates with the DAS (from what I've read the transponder chip sends a code back to the DAS to disarm the vehicle immobiliser) work independently of the remote keyless circuitry? This is probably the biggest question I have.

If there is a possibility of getting a used remote fob unit to work, will the transponder chip on the used unit interfere or confuse the DAM to the point the current original working transponder does not start the vehicle?! (unfounded fear maybe?)

I appreciate any answers and help in advance.

This is my first post of hopefully not too many. I'm proud to be a benz owner. It was a long time coming. This vehicle seems like it's going to be a beast, but we'll see if it ends up in the lemon category.

Thanks!

CD

Old 06-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Default Key FOB Programming

Just got off the phone with Tampa M-B. I bought a SL500, 2004. Came with one programmed FOB and one un-programmed FOB. Dealer says throw it away & bring in ownership papers, they'll order fob and key blank. 2 days and bring car in. Ready for this? $440 for FOB and programming + $22 for key blank!
Somewhere there is a hacker who can do the key. After all, hackers get into the NSA/CIA computers! Maybe a Russian guy? Never mind the election dept. This is important!