General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Default Key Question

All:
...new to the forum please be gentle...

I searched the forum before posting in an effort to get some FAQ on the remote key for my ML320. I purchased a used ML320 a year ago and have just been using the remote key with no problems. Here are my brief questions.... thanks in advance..

#1 I read that some folks lost functionality in the remote key when they replaced the batteries - if so how can it be rectified?
#2 How does the non-remote key work - (e.g. when I unlock the car with the non-remote key the alarm starts - do I need to start the vehicle to stop the alarm or is there some other technique?
#3 What do y'all reccomend as a backup purchase to the remote key - (e.g. just go to the dealer and pay the $$)?

Thanks in advance -

-D

Old 08-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Default RE: Key Question

Usually when the remote key doesn't work when the batteries are replaced polarity is wrong that is the batteries are in the order. or when you inserted the batteries back into the housing you caught one of the metal pongs and bent it away from the battery and there is no contact.

The non remote with the key should maunal lock and unlock the doors with out the alarm going off, and the non remote or valet key shoulod start the engine when inserted into the ignition. You should hear 3 clicks or perhaps two in your vehicle that is the alarm reset and the ignition reset, as it recognizes the key. This happens with the rremote also.

Yes, buy form the dealer. I know a guy who bougth a remote off Ebay, for $50 bucks. The dealer would not send it to be coded, so he paid MB for a new remote key around $120. The dealer will send it down to NJ I am told where it is programmed and it is shipped directly to you. That's how mine was down, when one of my keys brooke the plastic oin that opens the top to replace the batteries and holds it closed when you put it into the body.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:32 AM

Allan:
Thanks - I really appreciate your info...
-D

Old 08-08-2005, 12:12 PM

Your welcome, These electronic keys are made to protect your car, so MB is very picky where the key comes from.