Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

ML320 Key FOB replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Default ML320 Key FOB replacement

I need to purchase a Key FOB for my ML320. I can buy one on ebay for $30 or at the dealer for $200. Programming by the dealer purchased Key is $50 additional charge. The dealer tells me the ebay purchased Key cannot be programmed because the key must be ordered per my VIN #. The ebay seller says their Key will work if programmed by a dealer. The FCC code and S/N shown on ebay item does match my present key.

Will the ebay purchased Key work? Has anyone found a dealer who can (will) program Key not purchased at the dealer?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Default RE: ML320 Key FOB replacement

The only reason why you have to order it by vin is to make sure you have the correct cut for the metal blade key..

Old 02-22-2015, 12:15 AM

I know this is an old thread, but since the key blade is metal, can't any shop just cut a new one if you have a master? My problem is that I need a remote fob, and I'm not willing to spend $180 for the part + $120 for programming at the dealership. I would think that if you could get an uncut blank key, having a duplicate cut would be a great backup for a lockout. The duplicate would do nothing other than mechanically unlock a door, but at least it could do that in theory. Am I missing something here?

Old 05-27-2015, 03:46 AM

Yes, you could use a mechanicsal key to get in but the Alarm would go off.
If you have the original remote Key fob, even with a flat battery, you could then start the car.

I would imagine the alarm would stop after some pre-set period of time, or maybe once the fob is inserted....

Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 AM

I ended up getting (2) 'mickey mouse' spare keys from the dealership. something like a total of $70. and yes, when you mechanically unlock the driver's side door with one of these keys, the alarm activates, but once the key is in the ignition it stops. Still can't justify a $300 expense for the key + fob. And the blank uncut key really is not of much use to me, now that I have (2) spares. i can start the vehicle with the spare keys as they both contain the microchip. As far as i'm concerned, I'm done with this project...until the original key fob is lost. Ehhhh, not sure what to do if/when that happens. Vehicle seems solid up to this point, but some very quirky things have been happening -- a lot to do with sticking relays. Other things as well, but most have been non-mechanical issues.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:20 AM
Default ML320 Key FOB replacement

My local auto locksmith programs new key fobs by soldering his key programmer to the transducer unit in the dash.
That way, he doesn't need a working key fob to create another one.

If you lose the fob, he will have to pick the mechanical lock in the door to get in and then get access to the transducer.

Tha't my philosophy at the moment. I begrudge paying 250 quid to the dealer for a fob I'll probably never use, so all the time I have a spare mechanical key, I can get in the car without damage and call the locksmith, which will cost no more than a spare fob.

Just have to put-up with the alarm sounding.....

Old 10-12-2020, 07:19 AM

If you have a spare key then there is no need to call any locksmith.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:24 AM

yes, that's good info to know!

Old 12-14-2020, 08:51 AM

I agree, learned many new things from here. I work as a lock repair expert with locksmith myrtle beach company and this information will surely going to help me while doing key replacement.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:17 AM

It's not the work of a locksmith to do fob replacement, i suggest taking it to the dealership for fob replacement.

Quick Reply: ML320 Key FOB replacement