Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Problem, motor sound but no sunroof movement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Default Sunroof Problem, motor sound but no sunroof movement.

Hi, first of all thanks in advance for all your help trying to solve problems of other Mercedes Owners. And sorry for my bad english.

I'm new here, finally I get my own Mercedes (E420 1994). In general I'm happy with my car. Is in very good shape (engine, leather, paint) but I have some problems. Two that I want to solve right now. I love to repair my cars by myself but maybe this time I need from you guys.

I will put all my problems in separate posts. So this is the first one.

Well, the sunroof work only for one week after I bought the car then start with random problems (one day worked perfect and the next one not at all). Until now that stop to work 100% even I needed to close the sunroof manual in the trunk. When I use the sunroof button I hear a sound like the motor working Ok in the trunk but no movements in the sunroof. How to know what I need to replace? Obviously I want to know if the motor is bad because is the most expensive part in the sunroof system and I want to know what part to buy. Also I want to lubricate all the sunroof system but I don't know where to startor what lubricant use.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Old 02-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Sunroof Problem, motor sound but no sunroof movement.

Sunroofs can be hard to diagnose but from what you are descirbing i think that it needs a cable. I tend to do most of my work myself but when it came to th esunroof i let the local Uphopstry (sp?) shop do it. And now it works great and labor was only 150 but parts were expensive cause i needed alot more than just the cable. The cable itself was about 90 bux i hope this helps.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:51 PM

Thanks for your answer! Do you have any picture or graph with some steps or something to follow to check the motor and reach the cable? At least some basic steps. Thanks again.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

I personally dont but u might be able to search online or email SLEEPWALKER for a diagram.