Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 Check Engine/ABS/ESP Malfunctions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Default E320 Check Engine/ABS/ESP Malfunctions

I have a 2003 E320 Sedan (not 4Matic and not Wagon.) It has about 90,000 miles on it. Originally, when I would start the car, it would say "Coven. Functions Temporarily Unavailable." This would go away after about 10 minutes of driving allowing full AC, seat movements, etc. This error came on several times over the course of 6 months I guess. The next issue, I believe was a lit up red battery and Visit Work Shop. Shortly thereafter, I had ABS malfunction and SBC malfunction flashing. The dash looked like a Christmas tree. I believe the car entered into limp mode. Power was cut, it wouldn't shift gears, brakes seemed to fade a bit, possibly lack of power steering, and flashing dash. I eventually pulled over on a side street. There were warnings and beeping. I believe the car shut off. It started again, but would do the same thing. Then it stopped starting. I read several articles about what might be the caused and proceeded to do the following:

1) Replaced the rear battery (this was not the issue.)
2) Replaced the auxiliary battery (this was not the issue.)
3) Pulled the alternator and replaced the voltage regulator (this removed the SBC malfunction and Red Battery Warning.)

However, when I start the car, I still have the following malfunctions on the dash:

1) ABS Malfunction--Visit Workshop!
2) ABS (Yellow Light) Lit on Dash
3) ESP Malfunction--Visit Workshop!

After about 15 minutes of driving, the Check Engine Light just came on.
As an FYI, I checked voltage at the battery while resting (engine off) and it was 12.18 volts. After starting the car, the voltage at the battery was 14.18 volts.
The brakes seem a little bit soft, but not bad--it was considerably worse before when the car was "shutting down."

I feel like I've been replacing everything on this car. I heard about the brake switch under the pedal, but doubt that's it. Voltage seems good now, so I'm thinking the Alternator is good. Wondering if maybe I need to have the codes reset? What would cause the Check Engine Light to come on? Also, I know the SRS system had some issues in this model year, and it is a replaceable part under Mercedes Benz recall--although not mandatory. This expires in a few months, so I want to make sure I get it corrected, should that be the issue.

Hope I provided enough information. Any help would be appreciated as I'm struggling to fix this. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM

the sbc/esp/bas light could be the SBC pump for the brake system. it is covered 10 yrs. unlimited miles. could be the brake switch to. those would be my first guess.
oh could also be a steering angle sensor, very common issue, steering angle sensor or steering column module. there was a few campaigns for some of the esp abs lights