Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 E420 whistles, SOS!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Default 97 E420 whistles, SOS!!

Hello, everybody,

I recently bought a 97 E420 with 44,000 good miles.
Day one, when it went for quite a distance and engine got hot enough, a whistle sound coming out. It seemed that it was coming from A/C. When I took it back to dealer, the mechanic could not find anything. I thought that the enginee got cool down a bit.

Day two, after a few minutes from engineer started, the "check engine electronic" light came out. I took it back to the dealer, they found out that a small hose loosened and they fixed it. But after some time, the whistle sound came out again. I don't know whether the 2 problems have any relations or not.

Anybody has similar experience like mine, please help. I have taken it to the dealer twice and don't know if they still honour me or not.

Somebody told me MB dealer charges $108 per labour hour. Please help this poor guy, I haven't bought extended warranty.

SOS!!

Old 06-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Default RE: 97 E420 whistles, SOS!!

I also have a '97 E420 and noticed a whistling sound one day. After some investigating, I realized that some of my vents were half closed and the whistling sound occurred when my fan powered up. After opening the vents all the way, the whistling stopped. I hope your problem is as easy to resolve!

I also have a problem with a reocurring Check Engine Electronics light. Me mechanic said the code came up as a loss of vacuum pressure in the fuel line. We replaced the fuel cap......and it reocurred. Then he tightened all the fuel line fittings.......and it reocurred. It will eventualy reset after several days, and no one can find a problem, so I just live it. I've noticed my low fuel light will come on even with a full tank at the same time the Check Engine light comes on...no
explanation and no one can figure it out.

I love the car, but it does have some quirks like this, that I've learned to live with. Mine has 121,000 miles on it, so I guess it goes with the territory.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Default RE: 97 E420 whistles, SOS!!

I had a similar problem after my last service. It seems that the airbox (behind the glove compartment) was not closed properly. I opened it and re-closed it making sure it was properly closed, and the whistle went away. You may want to check that if someone replaced the cabin air filter prior to the whistle noise. Mine was VERY noticible when the A/C was on high.