Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Car wont stay on....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:53 AM
Default Car wont stay on....

New clk owner here first big problem. I have not been driving the car around much and its been in my driveway for a bit. I start it up every once and again as not to let the battery die. I go to start it up over the weekend and what do you know.... dead battery I jump the car starts up fine then I cut it off. The very next day I go to start it the battery is dead I jump the car and it wont start [:@] . after a few tries the car starts but begins rumbling shaking rpms drop then cuts off!!!! [:@] I start it again car starts and rumbles for like 2 mins so I decide to put the car in drive. The car moves still shaking rpms fluctuating then cuts off. Any clues. I searched several forums and saw the possibility of it being the crankshaft position sensor because the symptoms are similar except for the fact that if its the sensor it doesnt happen at startup but rather when the car has already been running. I cant get the car over to the dealer cuz obviously I cant drive it. So before I tow I wanna know some possible causes. My personal thoughts are the fuel filter being clogged or the fuel pump dead. The car is a 98 clk 320 btw. Also I have a check engine light (o2 sensor)
Thanks in advance

Old 05-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Default RE: Car wont stay on....

Anyone?.... Sleepwalker?

Old 05-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

it's hard to tell now.

i have a strong feeling that it was the fuel system indeed.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:07 AM

Ok I got the car running regular today I put some injector cleaner in the tank. I dont know if this was the problem but I noticed that the coupler after the maf sensor was missing.... WTF!!!!!! I touched the tube while the car was running (the tubes were placed together by hand [>:]) they seperated I heard a strange vacuum noise then the car shook and cut off much like before. Could that have been the culprit? anyway until I get to the dealer to get the coupling I (cringing) put grey tape over the two pipes joining them (ghetto I know). Anyway I started the car and got a rough shake then went to normal. Still has dealer gas could it be bad gas? So many variables. I hope I get out all the kinks before my 30 day lemon guarantee is up . When the battery went dead I had to reprogram all the windows and sunroof as well as turn the wheel fully both ways to reprogram the abs and the srs. Funny that the car was acting really funky before I did this. Weird.....

Old 05-25-2005, 05:09 AM

Thanks sleepwalker I was thinking that too. after the car warms up its soo smoooth though maybe I need a new fuel filter? its getting replaced as soon as i get over to the dealer.
Btw the check engine light and check engine electronics went away after all this.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

yes, it is better to do the basic maintenance service so as to eliminate other possibilities.

that will narrow down your diagnosis to a few things.

have a nice day.