Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Replacing OEM w/ K&N Air filter 05' c230 Kompressor

Old 04-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Default Replacing OEM w/ K&N Air filter 05' c230 Kompressor

Prior to bringing my car in for Service "B" (2005 C 230 Kompressor sport sedan with 48,000 miles) I would like to hear from any owners who have used or attempted to use K&N's air filters in this model (1.8 cyl)
Good or bad experiences please will be appreciated. I have replaced oem with K&N air filters in all of my other vehicles but have never owned a supercharged one and am very interested in your experiences. Thank you for sharing with me. (new to this forum )

Old 04-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Default K&N Air Filters

I understand your position about not using K&N air filters. May I ask you to give a more cogent explanation for why you make that statement? I have used K&N in previous vehicles (300ZX,Volvo 850, BMW320,Infiniti J30, Acura Legend, RAV4,Camry,)without any negative events as a result of the K&N..........................none of those engines, as I stated, were supercharged. Is that the distinction you raise in this regard or is there another or other components that you feel make the K&N undesireable?
I would appreciate hearing more from you. Thank you

Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 PM

I'm kinda new here myself, but what I am learning is many offer advice on the forum with little to back it up. A great many have loads of useful information, a few just live to raise doubt in your mind. Right click on their name, check out how they post to other questions. I wish I could offer a word to K&N but as i research it on the web I still can't make up my mind. Need a new filter soon myself, perhaps he K&N, perhaps not at this point.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 AM

With all the government pressure to increase fuel economy and the auto manufactures trying for more performance from engines, you would think it would be compulsory to install K&N filters. (Or something similar) That is if they really worked and provided proper engine protection.

Bill

Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM

logically speaking, if indeed, the K&N allows for more air to pass through than OEM, it would then be a reasonable assumption (I'm sure there is actual "real-life" test data somewhere) that more and larger particulates pass through the K&N filter than does when using OEM.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Default Its all in how your search

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
K&N is a complete waste of money. Paper filters are better in every way.
If you actually care about your engine K&N should never be a consideration.
My apologies if I seemed rude above, I just prefer something to back opinion, no offense intended. The subsequent posts did that and lead me to a wealth of other information. Its all in how you search. KN-VS-OEM, google is our friend. In as much as the internet is the wealth of all information. Next I will google aliens.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM

I recently read a study which backed up, or rather showed, that conical or double conical filters allowed less passage of air than the OEM Mercedes filter.
This seems to conflict with what K&N publishes, and, in my experience and the experience of other automotive engineers and competition pilots, both are right within the limitations of where and how is the application made.

In competition cars, which are destined to short lived components between revisions or replacements, temperature, room and weight are primary considerations which make multiple conical air filters more practical to designers and constructors. But here the point is the specific design for the item.
In street cars, be them standard, luxury or high performance, practical components where performance is long lasting and maintenance is brought to a minimum, designers specify the most economical solution for the best behavior of their machines. It does not include a conical o bi-conical air filter.

I stick to OEM design components and specifications, particularly in Mercedes products which have almost the variable characteristics of a capricious brat.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 AM

After speaking with a Master Certified MBZ tech I am sticking with the OEM. The K&N, although less service space than OEM, is designed to filter a significant amount of particulates via the oil coating, and more air does pass through the filter...............however the oil, if not wiped before installation, may cover or coat the sensors that could trigger a "check engine" event. This particular MBZ tech wipes down the K&N filter prior to installation and that procedure seems to have eliminated the "check engine" issues. That being said, and after further discussion with him about possible loss of MPG (an effect of the additional air hence, additional gas injection) I instructed him to install OEM on this service. Thank you kindly for all the input.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:28 PM

I just bought my 2005 C230K and I installed a K&N, shortly after the car started running rough and losing power..The MAF sensor is located just behind the filter and the filter being new and loaded with oil coated the MAF sensor and fouled the sensing capability...I cleaned the MAf sensor using MAF spray and the car ran good again...I have not replaced the filter since Im waiting for the new K&N to wear out the oil...When you clean the K&N don't oil it heavily and you should be alright..For the money, if your looking for performance, not much noticed difference but the fact its reusable makes it worth it...The MB dealer said they have seen a lot of K&N filters actually destroy the MAF sensors at around $450 for the part...

Old 09-23-2013, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
That is far from factual.

Paper filter: $22
K&N $65, plus $10 for the "recharge" kit
52,000 miles on an air filter...I don't think so......3 filter changes and the K&N pays for itself..