Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

merc c220 cdi sport 2007 (new look) black smoke from exhaust and high revs

Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Default merc c220 cdi sport 2007 (new look) black smoke from exhaust and high revs

hi all,

Need a little help!

Today I was on the motorway when suddenly, black smoke came out of my exhaust (allot of it covering the motorway) and my revs whent really high causing the car to spped up by its self if the ESP light coming on the dashboard causing me to stop on the hard shoulder.

Stoped and called the RAC for assistance and they advised there was too much oil in the engine which i topped up yesterday due to it being low, It was just a little over the max and used the approved oil for this car.

The RAC guy said to drive again even thou the car was over reving which in this case was saying no as iam scared it will damage my vehicle. He said it be fine, so 1 min drive whilst his following me it happens again. He said to tow it to the nearest garage so we did.

Any way thanks for your patience so far. I get to the garage and the RAC guy goes and tell them the issue but forgets to tel them about the reving part of the vehicle and the light, which I never knew. The mechanic pumps out the oil which is what they initially thought and took it for a test drive, this then did the same thing again with the revs and the mechanic said that the RAC guy never told them of this issue, which this could potentially cause the engine to completly break down.

NOW i know the RAC guy is completly in the wrong and they are carrying investigations, but what i wanted to ask the experts of the forum is what you think is a fix for this issue, mechanic says " we need to pump out all the oil, and investigate the pipes and the radiator which they said the issue looks very serious and in some instances may mean a new engine.

They estimated just the first cost to be £200. But they are currently investigating it this way first and will let me know. Please tell me of your thoughts and what you think is a fix for this.

I can note i can take the blame for putting a little bit more oil into the engine, but also the patrol guy RAC should of been more experienced to know this issue and make the garage aware so that i dont have to go through this much hassle and hell. Any advise would help. Greatly appreciate your advise.