General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Black Smoke coming from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Default Black Smoke coming from exhaust

Hello guys,

1990 300 SEL w/ 165 K.

I've just noticed black smoke coming from my exhaust pipe... it's not a little neither. Anyway, when I accelerate tons of the black smoke comes out then when I'm driving I look out of my rearview mirror and don't see any while the car is driving. As soon as a stop at a light or get stuck in traffic then hit the gas to resume I see it coming out again, lots of it. Also, I’ve noticed when I start the car in the morning I see black spots on the ground, similar to black powder residue coming out of the tailpipe. I did indeed take it to a mechanic (not specialized in MBs) he said it's an internal engine problem and he wasn't too sure but he did say I have to take care of this issue before I blow the engine...Yikes! When he told me that I just parked the car and haven't driven it since. I did speak with a friend of mine who knows a little bit about cars and he said it's most likely an internal stem gasket that needs to be replaced which will cost at least $1k for labor and parts from a reputable MB shop and since I love my car I'm willing to do almost anything for her but I am afraid to take her into a MB dealer to have them check it, I think most of them are a bunch of rip-offs. I just need to get an idea of what is causing this problem. Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

Thx

Fondest regards,

300 SEL MAN

Old 03-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Black Smoke coming from exhaust

it's just running rich.

fuel distributor EHA or metering sensor does this.

the engine runs smooth and plenty of power...right?

Old 03-18-2005, 10:50 PM

Engine does indeed ride smooth and it does have power. I just made an appointment to bring it into the dealer on Monday (even though I hate to) Hopefully I won't go into the poor house now. Thank you very much I really appreciate your feedback. I'll keep you posted.

ciao

MM

Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 AM

Hey Sleepwalker,

You were indeed correct my Fuel Distributor needs rebuilding. And the computer also revailed that I also need an exhaust manifold as well as a replacing the valve cover gasket. $4k to fix these problems from the Mercedes Service Center. I told them I'll think about it. Is that really a fare price?

Old 03-23-2005, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

fair? that's astronomical!

brand new fuel distributor is only 1.6k. if they will rebuild and calibrate it, will spend only half that amount. swapping it with a rebuilt ones will cost even less than $200.

valve cover gasket is easy and DIY.

replacing the exhaust manifold needs a lifter and better let them do it. (why change the exhaust manifold anyway? maybe a gasket will do?)

Old 03-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Wow! I had a feeling that was a bit much. What do you think is a fair price to put one in, a couple of hundred $'s? I'll try to find a rebuilt one and just have someone put one in.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:58 PM

I'm having the exact same problem with my '89 300E.

Were you succesful getting a rebuilt fuel distributor?

If so, any recommendations on a source?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2005, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: 1990300SELMAN

Wow! I had a feeling that was a bit much. What do you think is a fair price to put one in, a couple of hundred $'s? I'll try to find a rebuilt one and just have someone put one in.
i know a person how rebuilds them ...$400.00..with warranty