Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

1997 c230 misfires

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Default RE: 1997 c230 misfires

the yellow tubes you refer to are most lilely the two vacuum lines that run off the control valve on the front of the engine and pass through the valve cover along side the spark plug wires and exit the valve cover on the passenger side and connect to the vacuum valves mounted on the side of the head. (egr) If you attempted to glue them together you most likely plugged them with glue. Autohausaz.com and others sell the line by the meter so you can buy as much as you need. There are similar lines off the intake side that most likely need replacement also. They get brittle and turn yellow with age and engine heat.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:59 PM
oc

Thanks wilbur1...it's real hard to find when you dont know what the name for it is. Does the last item on this list looks like the vacuum lines I described? They are white new, but you did say they turned yellow and brittle, as such is the case on my car.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...um%20Hose/Line

Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 PM

Sounds like vacuum hose. 2 X Runs the length of the head under the cover. From the EGR valve to a valve mounted on the front of the head under the black plastic cover. This is white vacuum hose that has turned yellow with age and turned brittle. If you applied glue to put it back together it is most likely plugged with glue. This will keep the EGR valve from functioning and cause other problems. change them one at a time to avoid mixing the connections. Metric Vacuum hose is available at may auto parts stores. Search Mercedes parts for the white plastic Vacuum Hose/Line;
YES
White; 4mm OD; Bulk
acuum hose which is sold by the foot

Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
oc

Update: in case someone read my post#10
(didnt get a chance to update until now, 1 1/2 yrs later! .. sorry)

My post #10 indicated that proper gapping the plugs was the final solution. It was fine for about 1-2 months, but the problem of hesitation came back. The OBDII kept giving me cylinder misfire code. So I decided to note which cylinder, then swap solenoids, and wait for the next cylinder misfire code again...lo and behold, the bad solenoid was revealed..the bad cylinder code followed the swapped solenoid on the cylinder. Bought a new solenoid ($150, I think) and no more problem....Till now...but different problem, not solenoid (so I'm here again, so I'm updating this thread)

Final analysis is that solenoid at the edge of being bad prob got help lasting a few months longer by proper regapping of the spark plugs (and new distrb wires)...until it got worst and finally even optimum gap and wires, etc wasn't enough.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:04 PM

i dont know , japanese cars arent this difficult to deal w/. i'm begining to regret buying my used 1997 c230. i cleaned the maf and the engine improved, but then it had the same problem as one of the guys here, it would get rough on idle sometimes and would turn back to normal if i restart it. one time i actually was losing power on the freeway and had to restart it to go away. from what i've been getting from people here after even having been thru dealer mechanics and all the trial and errors (well there's no choice if the dealer themselves can t figure it out right?)and the problem still persist! this is bull**** MR MERCEDES MAN! ur cars dont like eating regular gas, u demand expensive maintenance, ur very difficult to figure out even w/ the dealer mechanics. ur parts are expesive, u trully insist on consumers kissing your asses just for the "privelege" of driving your ****ty quality cars, yes i dare say ****TY cause that's what u call cars that keep having problems not to the high cost u demand to maintainn your ****ty machines. Japanese cars are numero uno !!!! they're the best cars on the planet, period!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 AM

Misfires ..... hahahahaha .... if you spend roughly the cost of the vehicle, you will find out that there is no fix. Us fools who bought into the MBZ hype soon find out how infuriating these vehicles actually are. Here's the part I like the best .... when my C36 AMG was clearly running on 5 cylinders, but the tech tried to tell me that its not, because thats not what the "code" says .... ok. So I drove around on 5cylinders, on and off,for years. Istarted replacing every part on the car trying to fix the problem. Finally, one day while it was on 4 or 5 cylinders, I drove it right into the dealer and demanded that they look at it (thats a big no no without an appointment). Oh, I was right after all, not all 6 cylinders firing. And, while attempting to drive on 4, or 5, but usually never 6, my C36 AMG was slower than your C230 .... SoMBZ will probably tell us the moral to the story is .... just buy the C230 fromthestart, so that when it misfires at least you knew you were buying a slow car .... me on the other hand ... I'm just a dumb-*** because I bought into the hype. Oh, it never has been fixed, and I think I've replaced everything in the engine compartment except the engine block.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by harryfrank
ok, I have the same problem with my c230, and I really hope we can work out this together, according to the information i was able to get at alldata, the cause of this could be an injector, that does not close properly or due to engine wear. I would try getting a new set of injectors my self, but honestly, i do not have the means at the moment, so if You or somebody comes forward with some help, i t will be greatly appreciated.</P><edited><editID>harryfrank</editID><editDate>38072.5598032407</editDate></edited>
Just remember not to be fooled by the computer. Mercedes processors (ECM's) WILL shut off injectors if it notices that a cylinder is misfiring to protect the catalytic converter from damage. The processor will shut off the injector to the cylinder that is misfiring.