General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Wind noise - please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Default Wind noise - please help

Hiall.

After having the windscreen replaced on my S500 from 99, I´ve had a lot of wind noise at high speed. The noise seems to be coming from the center, lower part of the screen/top part of the bonnetand sounds like air gets trapped in the ventilation system.It makes no difference if the ventilation is turned off. All rubber fittings around windscreen look OK. Could anybody give me a tip? Thanks!

Old 12-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Default RE: Wind noise - please help

Hi,
Screen is glued in.
If problem started with the new screen it is likely they missed a bit when refitting the screen. Even if they put adhesive all the way around it is important how "high" this bead is so that when placed in the aperature it reaches the metal frame of the windscreen aperture and creates a seal.
The effectiveness of this adhesive seal can be check with an ultrsonic tester if indeed the garage has one!
Get them to remove and refit the screen.
Stuart

Old 12-22-2006, 06:07 PM

I agree most wind noise is caused by either loose or worn out weatherstripping. As the other writer said, the installer probably missed glueing the stripping in at one point. I had the door weatherstripping changed in my 79 450SLC and it when from a whistlinginterior at speedto a nice quiet interior speed. I also have a 99 C280 and it has interior noise at speed which was traced to the conti tires. Sounded very much like wind noise at higher speeds, over 65mph

Old 12-23-2006, 10:43 AM

Thanks for your help both.

I´ll direct the garage using your info.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Default Still wind noise - can anybody help?

Thanks for good advice. You were absolutely right. The windscreen wasn´t glued properly at the bottom. Have had it fixed and it helped.

Ironically, now that this noise from thewindscreen is gone, we can here that thereismore wind noise - apparently coming from top of front doors and left front corner of car. But it is hard to pinpoint.

Any of yougot experiencewith localizing and eliminating wind noise? What is the best way to go about it? (The garages don´t seem to have an effective method).I would very much like this car to be more quiet at motorway speed.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Default RE: Still wind noise - can anybody help?

One method I have heard about is to put a soapy solution around the area on the outsideand blow compressed air from the inside and look for bubbles on the outside. Glass shops do this, it might work for doors.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:43 AM
Default RE: Still wind noise - can anybody help?

Your S Class SHOULD BE very quiet. If it isn't then something is wrong.

Usual method for checking door seal effectiveness is to use chalk duat on the paintwork and ensure it is transferred to the black rubber seal when the door is shut. Messy but with patience it works just fine. Ensure you check for sealing on the correct seat. Some of the more outboard seals are just water/dirt ingress seals rather than the primary air seal.

Does your car have "Soft Shut" doors?

Are you sure the doors are properly shut when you experience the noise?

S Class doors without soft shut are often difficult to get onto the final catch. Its easy to drive around on just the first catch position.

Stuart