General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Default HELP PLEASE!!

I am looking at purchasing this Benz but not sure what the value would be:

1964 Mercedes-Benz : 200-Series 1964 220 SEb

It is in great condition looks real good.

Also, how do Benz's size up to comparable Volvo's. I know Volvos are well known for there dependability.

Thanks!

edit: owner would like $3800 for car. Also, do many people use these older Benz's as everyday drivers? I would like to use this one as an everyday driver.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Default RE: HELP PLEASE!!

I just looked at the Barrett-Jackson auction results. Two 1964 220 seb's sold. $2400 and $4400. Both cars looked pretty good and generally the Barrett-Jackson cars get higher prices. $3800 is reasonable if the car is original and in very good mechanical condition. Daily driver is possible but you'll really have to keep on top of things and willing to wrench yourself.

Matt

Old 02-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

car will fall apart very soon especially if you drive it daily.

...not unless you're a slow driver who wears a brokeback mountain hat.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Hi everybody.

I have noticed about five mercedes from the 60's everyday during my daily commute. I keep seeing these same cars, and of course I notice them. So now I want one. I finally ran into the owner of the metallic pastel green one at the local hardware store. He told me that the local dealer RBM kept parts all the way back to 1956, but they still have typical mercedes prices. He said keeping the older mercedes on the road was about as expensive as buying a cheap new car. Now I metered that statement with the fact that his 1960's car was in nearly mint condition. The car had a gorgeous tan interior with that new/clean/comfy mercedes smell, and the paint looked better than my 2001. I miss the chrome of the 60's; I have imagined myself touring the roads listening to sixties music in one of those cars. What a BLAST! I guess I'm romantically in love his car; I should have asked if I could take a nap in the back seat, but that would have been over-the-top.

Charles

Old 02-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Sleepwalker y do u think that the car will fall apart if he drives it daily? I know people that drive VW beetles from the 60s daily and they don't fall apart. I personally dont think anything would go wrong with it. Everything wears out but if you like the car and its worth it to u just repair it.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

the car he is talking about is almost half a century old and would like to drive it daily.

that car got heavy body (most probably rusty on the inside now), complicated suspension design and lack of many safety features that the recent cars offer.

due to it's old age, parts cannot lasts forever. they all have limited time and mileage of use... and any of those parts are about to expire now after 40 years. it doesn't matter if he drives it or not.

advisable daily driven car should be less than 10 years old.

i never experience a breakdown on the middle of nowhere but i have responded to many off hours emergency call to assist them with their car. the feeling is desperation, anger and disappointment.

if 64benz is going to use it on weekend trip or going to church every sunday, that's fine.

IMO, i discourage using it for daily driver.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Newer than 10 years? Out of all my friends I have the newest car and its a 99 with 121k.

I guess its all what ur willing to put up with. I know what u mean though on the older benzes do have a complicated suspension and i could see how that can cause problems.

10 years? I can saftely say that if everyone in my town or even county had to not use a car as a daily driver that is not over 10 years then 60-70% of the people would not have cars.

Sorry i just cant get over the 10 year thing. I would not drive a car thats 42 years old everyday either but that would be because its rare and would not want to chance wrecking it.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

in USA there is still no law about not registering the car older than 10 years.

in japan and here in china, there is.

you can't even sell second hand car and some junkyard do the chop-chop and sell the used parts to other country.

i can still see some 124, 126 and 140 models but they belongs to small city or countrside where the law is a little bit loose. here in the city, i can only see about 10 of them in a year. that's so low compared to 25 mercedes-benz a day that i do service and diagnosis.

i didn't say you cannot drive the car if it's more than 10 years old. no argument with that and don't let me started for i have no time.
advisable daily driven car should be less than 10 years old.
if everyone in my town or even county had to not use a car as a daily driver that is not over 10 years then 60-70% of the people would not have cars.
this can't happen because if there's no older car, they will buy recent models instead.

as i know, you can even buy a 126 model there now for less than $3k. so why buy an old and unreliable car for $3800?

as you know, your 560SEL is a good car when it comes to handling and response. all he have to do is add $1k more and get a newer model. that's what i advise most.

he is confused and don't know much about MB.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:18 PM

I dont know too much about how the cars fair in your country, but I must say that any older MB specially here in the Maritime Provinces in Canada are not a wise investment, the sub-frames were made of a low quality metal and are very much prone to excesive rotting, I have seen some really nice ones with pristine bodies I was interested in purchasing, but once on a lift I was surprised the car didn't just split in half, cause there was very little frame left, and as for daily drivers, I've an 1985 Saab SPG with well over 700.000 kilometers original as a daily driver, and it has yet to fail me once, so to me, if the car has been properly maintained why not as a daily, sure you might one day find yourself stalled somewhere in traffic or on a trip, but I see brand new cars doing the same..

Mike

Old 02-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sleepwalker

if everyone in my town or even county had to not use a car as a daily driver that is not over 10 years then 60-70% of the people would not have cars.
this can't happen because if there's no older car, they will buy recent models instead.
My point was that they cant afford anything newer and there budgets are strched as it is. I they could buy newer they would. Thats all.