General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

c-class wiper woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Default c-class wiper woes

It was raining.
The wipers were slappen the driver's side window blade (wish I could fix this too).
I would turn the wiper off and on at the wiper stalk to stop the tapping from blade to the window frame.
The blade made a strange sound and stopped in the middle of the window.
The blade is disconnected from the motor. The blade can be moved very easily from side to side because there is no resistance. What is wrong? How do I get the the wiper apparatus (under the plastic cap) off of the car to inspect and fix? tryfunke

Old 08-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Default RE: c-class wiper woes

I really need your help out there. I am talking about a monowiper, a single wiper. I have a c220 96. The plastic cap is off but I cannot figure out how to take off the center mechanism. I am very curious on whether this is a gear problem. It failed immediately, without the slow moving action.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:21 AM

dont quite see your problem but the piston under that plastic cap that you can see needs lubricating periodicaly[8D]

Old 08-30-2006, 08:51 PM

Thanks stud eer spud. Really, I need to get that center wipe mechanism off the car. How do I do that? the one with the plastic gear underneath. Also, I can grab the wiper and move it from the driver's side to the passenger's side with absolutely no resistance from the electric motor. Can anyone else do that? THe local mechanic mentioned a linkage. How do I get to it? Help??? tryfunke

Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 PM

OK, I really need some advice. First, I took of the plastic cowl, the whole gets pulled up towards the window but 2 screws on either side and below the center mechanism musty be removed first. I turns out that the nut attaching to the motor had worked loose. So, there was no linkage attachment. Tighten the nut and the wiper will work. This explains the lack of resistance when moving the wiper. Now, whoever suggested that the plastic gear can be lubricated through the tiny hope on the bottom must have something different than a C220 wiper. It does not appear that any real hole exist. I really still need help. How do I get the wiper mechanism apart to lube the plastic gear? I thought others did this plus the piston and rod that stud mentioned. Anyone please, I want to finish the job. Lub recommendations? try

Old 08-31-2006, 07:39 PM

any master mechanic out there? t