Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Is this true about diesel AC systems? Pls confirm

Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Default Is this true about diesel AC systems? Pls confirm

Here's the whole history:

1. I got my AC system on my 1983 240D fixed. It had never worked before. I got it worked on/over. After a very short period, it was low on cooling, so I took it back.

2. The mechanic said the "ambient temperature AC cutoff switch" ( VERY expensive) needed replacement, so he jumped the evap fan from a 300D which he installed, so that it is permanenly running when the car is on.

3. After a while, this caused low battery especially when driving 7 hours in the evening with the AC on in the summer

4. I replaced the 240D alternator with a W126 alternator. Lots of juice. The other day was in the 60's so I put the AC on, just to avoid opening a window and check it out.

Result: no cooling.

5. Back to the mechanic who says this is normal, that there's a cutoff switch which does not allow the AC to be used when the weather is cooler, " After all why would you need it? Or perhaps the freon charge is low. In any case, I'm busy now and can't deal with it."

I don't believe that even Mercedes is THAT parental and arrogant as to decide when I can or cannot use my AC on a diesel?

Personally, I believe that the system leaks have not been plugged.

Can I get some reactions from some diesel/AC experts?

Thanks very much.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
If you have an automatic climate control, it will not turn on at 60*f ambient temperatures.
If you have a manual climate control, the temperature wheel must be turned to MAX before it will activate.
I have a manual control, the wheel was turned to MAX and the temp was 69 degrees F.

I still believe the issues are
1. R-12 leaks
2. Faulty evaporator control switch
3. An already paid mechanic who didn't want to bother any more with the job.