Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

how do i start this thing?

Old 02-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Default how do i start this thing?

just bought a 74 240d. it has a blown engine and does not run, so i didnt try to crank it over before i bought it. this is my first one like this, so i have a few questions i need answered for when i get the engine swap done.
1. where is the starter switch? i have noticed that it doesnt have a strat position on the key. does it have a button or a plunger for this?
2. where is the pre-glow switch? i also noticed that it doesnt have an automatic preglow when i turn the key like my 93 diesel does.
3. what is this thing? there is a little plastic key-top switch on the dash above and to the right of the strreing column, but to the left of the lock cylinder. i can turn it to the left or the right, but it is not labeled and i have no idea what it does.

thanks in advance for any help. im hoping to have this one running by early next week. i need it for a daily driver so that i can start ripping into my truck and my s-class.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Default RE: how do i start this thing?

I don't know that car very well, but would assume the ignition key controls the pre-glow and starter. As far as the other switch, I'm pretty certain it's your idle adjustment.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:22 PM

heres how you start a MB diesel

1) turn key till first "click" or first little bit of resistance- it should stay there on its own

2) glow plug indicator light will turn on- pump accelerator pedal three times slowly

3) once the glow plug incidator lamp goes out, immediatly turn key the rest of the way to the right- DO NOT STOP TURNING IF IT DOES NOT START!!! keep the key turned for a minute if it wont start after a minute, i dont know what to tell ya.

* you may want to pump the gas peadal on second turn while the engien is trying to start up.

*read your owners manual or get one if you dont own one- all of this info is in it*

Old 03-04-2006, 02:57 PM

thanks, but i already found the started switch. it has a plunger on the dashboard that i have to pull out to engage the starter. still cant find the glow plugs though, they dont come on in any key position. (which there are only three of on this car; off, acc, and run, no start) i did find a mystery footswitch though. refer to post "what do i have here"

Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM

Turn the key to the right. Pull the start **** to the 1/2 position. That is the run position. Now pull it to 3/4 position (you should feel some resistance). That is the glow position. Pull it all the way out to start, then let it go back to the run position when it starts. Push it in to shut off.