General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Dash lights doing their own thing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 03:50 AM
Default Dash lights doing their own thing.

Thanks for the info received on my problem above, posted a few weeks ago where only three of the warning lights came on at ignition, and then remained on after starting. The problem arose after a flat battery following a long idle period (gone fishing!), and a jump start. I tried all of the suggestions kindly provided on the forum, and unfortunately none worked. Suggestions were to disconnect the battery to reset the computer, turn the steering all the way to the limits left and right, check that there was 12 volts available etc. Finally, and a week of stress later (costs some SERIOUS $ when you take a fairly high tech car in for an unknown repair in Zimbabwe!), I decided to check all the fuses, and in so doing, removed each fuse from the holder, checked it and returned it. No burnt fuses were found. After this excercise, I decided to check the situation by turning on the ignition and - SURPRISE - everything back to normal, and has stayed that way since. I have no idea how or why, but "fiddling" with the fuses worked and did the job!
Any thoughts on what happened?

Old 09-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Default RE: Dash lights doing their own thing.

I find the original post, when you say it is 92 model?
Don't know, if the same issue apply for your year, but lot of problems with the older Models was the brass fuse holders and aluminum fuses available in US.
Those 2 metal develop electrocorossion and even when the fuse looks good, it doesn't necessarily means it lets the current without restriction on corroded contacts.
Someone on ebay was selling "upgrade" fuses, that were made with copper.
Check if you might have the situation.