Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Help, '82 300d won't start!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Default Help, '82 300d won't start!?

Hello, could use a little help here please. Yesterday I replaced rear tranny mount and both shift linkage bushings on 1982 300D. I had to unplug elect. 4 pin conn. on driver's side, ( what is that?) and tugged a little on wire going around the rear to the passenger side ( what is that?). Now when I try to start I only get a "click" relay or solenoid noise from passenger side area but starter does not energize. I assumed it to be a linkage adj. issue for the Park interlock but even with shift lever disconnected and moved to the full Park position the starter would still not energize. I removed elect. 4 pin connection again and sprayed with contact cleaner just in case and still nothing. Any ideas please? Thanks a bunch, STeve

Old 03-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help, '82 300d won't start!?

Try it in neutral and see if it will start.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:10 PM

did that. will it normally allow you to start in nuetral?thanks....steve

Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 AM

I could really use some ideas here. I am having to ride my motorcycle in less than enjoyable temperatures. Is the wire going around to the rear of the transmission mount to the passenger side going to the Park interlock switch? Am I overlooking something simple? What else could be "locking me out" of the ignition start signal to the starter? Thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

I am at a loss but yes it will let u start the car in neutral.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:55 PM

Angelbay - I'm going to give you a link to a fantastic site that will be of invaluable help to you since you strive to do your own repairs. It contains many detailed pictorials for various repairs, and the guy takes you through each repair, with step-by-step pictures included ... and it's free! I have only owned my MB for about two years now; and I had a starting problem as well about a year ago; only my problem was with the glow plug system. At that time, the gentleman of whom I speak above, did not have a glow-plug system repair pictorial on his site ... I emailed him and asked him a few questions about "how to troubleshoot the glow-plug system" ... and he subsequently published an entire detailed pictorial on how to do so - and he did it within two days!! He is, in my opinion, a most kind human who cares enough about others to not only share his knowledge, but takes that sharing to a new level with the pictorials he so graciously offers.
Here's the URL:
http://www.dieselgiant.com
I don't know if he will have exactly what you're looking for, but his pictorial section is ever evolving. And, I'll tell you what - if you don't see what you're looking for, just ask him; and there's no doubt in my mind that you'll get your answer!

Good luck with your repair!

Sincere Regards, Sandra
1984 190D 2.2

Old 03-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Default Re: Sandra

Sandra, if this works out, you have made my day. Even if it doesn't you have brightened my day, all the way from California! Not only did you answer my post, you did it quit elegantly! I had seen that site before but needed a reminder. I left them an e-mail. Do you work on your car? I also noticed that you cared enough to read mypost and join, just to help me out! That is what this is all about. Thanks a bunch, angel! Gotta go ride my motorcycle until I fix my car, but the weather is quite nice right now....Steve

Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Default You are most welcome!

Steve - you've made my day as well .... you have reminded me that being a kind human does have it's advantages - the payoff is when you get through to the right person, and they let you know they appreciate it! I have to admit that my motivation behind visiting this forum today was not completely altruistic, because I am setting out on a search for some body parts for my 190D (I was rear-ended on the freeway last week - I'm fortunate to be alive, I'm told.)
Although, when I was drawn to your post about your 300D starting problem, I did decide to go ahead and register with the forum today, so I could perhaps be of some help to your plight by referring you to the DieselGiant site. I was bike riding myself when my car was down with the glow-plug problem, so I know what a dilemma you must be in. (mine's a bicycle, not a motorcycle!)

Take care, and let me know if the giant helps you (I'm betting he will). And, be careful riding your motorcycle - it's a crazy world out there!

Sincerely, Sandra
1984 190D 2.2

Old 03-14-2007, 02:12 AM
Default RE: You are most welcome!

Hey Sandra, just read your initial post upon joining. Sorry to hear of your ordeal but I strongly agree with your account of guardian angels, for I have had, and still do, at least one. I want to say many but only because I probably underestimate their capabilities.....I also agree and can testify to the rewards of righteous living, and somewhat shamefully, the contrary lifestyle. Some may call it karma, but to me that is another way to say "you reap what you sow". But back to the Mercedes, I had to change out my glow plugs some time back. I had always thought that they were only necessary in cold weather, but found out "not so grasshopper". They are quite necessary most of them must be in good working order. If I remember correctly, sometimes I don't anymore, the interstate can get quite scary around SF, especially when all I had was my bike as I explored Vallejo, Half Moon Bay, San Jose, Davis, Oakland, Marin Co., Berkeley, Sedona, Napa, Petaluma, the sea lions at the wharf, the Pompanito, etc. way back when.....
so you be careful out there. Put a pic of your car on here. I don't even know what a 190 looks like. Steve