Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

automatic problem

Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Default automatic problem

hi im new to this so ill do best , i have a 2005 mercedes viano 2.2 automatic diesel with 116k miles on it. the problem i have is that after driving it for about an hour in city traffic it wont change gear properly first it wont change from 4th to 5th without the rpm going very high then it changes and goes down through the gears from 3rd to 4th 2nd to 3rd its like something is overheating because if i leave it for an hour its ok for a while then it happens again,but on the motorway its fine its only when changing gear constantly that it happens. I have had the gearbox done and it is still happening has anyone any suggestions?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

a couple of things could cause those types of symptoms. One, the gearbox could be overheating especially if a passage, whic many of them are small, gets clogged and the fluid can flow properly. Anothr thing could be the computer is out of sync with what's going on in te actual gears. Now, when you had the tranny worked on, what exactly did they do to it, if you know? Did they just replace a few rubber here and there? Did they take the whle thing apart and put it back together?Or did they just change fluid? Or was there any hard parts replaced? Sometimes those types of trannys gets glitchy after a "repair" because someone did a "band-aid" job or either messed up the clearances in the clutch plates or had no idea what they were doing.

If it is overheating, the cherry red fluid will turn a bron color quick and you'll smell literally burnt transmision fluid, usuallythat is. Sounds like some internals are worn but was it doing this prior to the transmission job?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:17 AM

Hi they took out the box and said that there was a crack in a drum replaced it and there was a stuck valve. I don't think they cleaned the lines to and from the box or the gear oil cooler which I have a seperate one . The battery light was coming on so I replaced the battery and bushes on the altenator because they said that there might not be enough voltage going to the ecu. The problem is still there. It's like itheats up after an hour of stop and go driving but is ok on long drives plus when I leave it for 20 mins or so it's ok again for 10-15 mins and will start doing it again . Any ideas where to go next??

Old 01-29-2011, 04:07 AM

If I put my foot on the brake and put it in drive for about 20 mins it will cause the problem to happen.it's like the gear oil overheats. I don't know what causing it anyone any ideas . Thanks

Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 AM

hi darragh i just joined the site and see u had a promblem 2 years ago with your viano,i have same problem with mine,just wondered if you found what it was.