Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1986 SDL No Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Unhappy 1986 SDL No Oil Pressure

I have a 1986 SDL It was running nicely, starting great no real problems other than an annoying leak on the front engine seal. So I decided to replace the seal, the water pump and some other parts - hoses and other small seals stuff like that. Put in new oil 50 weight the good stuff.

Then I put it all back together and it ran like knocking sound and no oil pressure so I guickly stopped it. Sounded rough and rattling. I took off the oil inspection plate on the side of the motor and I found the chain was broken and some metal parts I have attached a picture. The chain is broken in one spot.

The two thin silver tubes about 1 inch long and as thick as a pencil. I don't know what they are.

I am good at fixing things but I don't know where to start what are those two tubes and do I need a whole new oil pump or what? I would appreciate some advice to get my car up and running again.

Attached Thumbnails 1986 SDL No Oil Pressure-parts.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 PM

First of all thanks for your quick reply.

Do you have a diagram, or picture or something for those chain rollers and the oil pump chain to go back in? Do I need to buy some more rollers too? or do I just use these? I have those two I don't see anymore in the pan.

I can do the repairs thankfully it did this in my garage at home. I just need a picture diagram or schematic to be able to do it. When i went to start it up I didn't even know this problem existed. It ran about 5-10 seconds and I shut it off, do you think it could have done some other damage that I should look for?

How would I know if there is a problem with the timing chain now?

Thanks

Last edited by netpro; 08-06-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add information
Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 PM

Is there other things I should fix already while I have it apart - like more seals or something? I'd rather do it now..... you know what I mean. Probably putting in that engine seal made the pressure that blew the chain apart - I'm guessing.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM

You misunderstand what I am say Forced... I have no problem buying a new chain I just want to know if there are other parts that I should get and replace at the same time like seals or something while I have it all apart. Also I need a diagram to do the repair. You say the long piece does not belong to the oil pump or chain what does it belong to and what do I need to do to repair it? I am confused.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:25 PM

Porbably the chain guide. Either buy a manual or hunt one up on the net(I've ran across a couple of places with them posted). I think 50w was too thick. You're going to want to check the chain guides, the tensioner and the engine timing(cam, inj. pump).