Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

240D high oil pressure / loss of oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Default 240D high oil pressure / loss of oil

I need a little help here,
My 240d, starts, and runs like a top. However, when she is first started she makes an unusually loud sound, as best as I can tell it sounds like an exhaust leak but after the engine is up to operating temp she is quit as a mouse, no smoking and even starts great in cold weather. The car has about 160000 miles and has recently started loosing oil and having excessive oil pressure. The oil pressure will not drop below 2 under any circumstances and stays mostly pegged at 3. I am also loosing a quart of oil about every 1000 miles. Please tell me there is something going on other that blow by, which would mean at the least honing the cylinders and new rings.

Thanks

Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel a little better about the oil pressure. I had a Isuzu blow the oil filter off one time. I mean it literally pealed the seam back all the way around the filter. Sounded like a shot gun blast.
The car s not burning any oil that I can tell, no smoke at all. The reason I was suspecting blow by ( and I forgot to mention it in my post ) is that I noticed a large amount of oil around the vent pipe that goes back to the crankcase. Weird thing is, it will now drop a little bit below the 2 and there is no fresh oil by the vent pipe. Also it does not appear to have lost any oil, yet.
By the way, will this engine spit oil out if the oil fill cap is removed?

Thanks again.