Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

87 300d won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Default 87 300d won't stay running

Good day to all. I am new to the forum and new to diesels in general. I have owned a MB 1987 300d Turbo for more than two years with little to no troubles. I had the car parked for a little over a year, I would start and try to drive it around the block monthly with no problems. I replaced the glow plugs while it was on hiatus with no troubles. Last week I decided I was going to make her my daily driver again and drove her up to get registered, I noticed a little power loss and black smoke coming from the exhaust. And ended up limping her home. By time I was home, there was little-to no power and tons of black exhaust smoke. Now she doesn't start at all. I assumed and thought maybe I sucked up some bad diesel from letting her sit for so long. So I changed all the fuel filters, including the tank screen. I pulled the tank out and flushed it. Pulled the sending unit and cleaned it. Blew out the fuel lines. Pulled and tested the injectors, (good pop pressure and spray pattern). Got it started but still no power and lots of black soot from the exhaust, then it died and now its not starting. I have bled the lines and injectors, I've tried starting fluids, and WD-40, with no luck. After reading a few different forums I realized I could try to spray starting fluid directly into the manifold with the crossover tube disconnected. After about 20-25 sec of continuous cranking it started. Blew some smoke out of the turbo hit the pedal and lots of power. Turned it off and then started it again with no problems. Went to hook up the crossover tube and it died, choked out. It will not start or run with crossover tube connected, (no problems with it disconnected). What I thought to be a fuel delivery problem has turned out to be a possible exhaust problem (?, nesting), now I am at a loss of what to do next. Any help on what to do next would be great. Pleases and Thank Yous provided.

Known New Parts:
Glow Plugs
Pre-Filter
Main Filter
Tank Screen
Tank Screen Fuel Line
Fuel Injector Seals
Air Filter

Last edited by whatsutt; 08-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM

A clogged catalytic converter forced exhaust gasses through the turbo and suffocated the motor. Motor started as normal with no catalytic converter attached, going to replace the Cat this week.