Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

84 300td E brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Default 84 300td E brake

I just got an 84 300 turbo diesel sedan and tried the ebrake/parking brake. It pushes down fine, makes the clicking/ratcheting noise we're all used to. There is very little resistance to this and it very easy to put down. However the E brake wont hold the car for squat. Not in neutral on a handicapped ramp. it holds nothing!

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong with it? What might need to be replaced/where?

I am thinking that the cord may need to be tightened, then again I am not even sure if it is there in the first place. I also dont know how to access it to tighten it, however plan on figuring this out. Next step I think is inspecting the shoes I believe theyre called on the axel. They may need replacment, however Im not really sure.

I need a working E brake to pass MA state inspection. If someoen out there can help me figure this out Id really appreciate it. thanks.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Default RE: 84 300td E brake

well, someone emailed me this message and i have found it most useful. anyone who neds the info , here it is. and if you know the end info, please reply with how a turbo works,etc.

Hi -
I saw your post but have not signed up yet so I couldn't email you directly.

Anyway, I have an '85 300td and i just did my e-brake because the pedal went all
the way to the
floor!

You may be able to adjust it to get some grip before you replace your shoes.
The adjustment is in
the underside of the car, just above where the driveshaft exits the
transmission. If you look up
there, you'll see a square-head bolt screwed into a metal thing that fits into a
notch in the body
on one side and pulls both e-brake cables. The deal is to screw the bolt in
clockwise (righty
tighty) to get more purchase on your brake shoes.

To make your ratcheting and adjusting life easier, you might back the square
head nut off about 90
degrees first, use a small wirebrush clean the threads, then apply some form of
lubricant. But
thats only if you want it to be real easy. I found that I had to turn the nut
about two or three
threads before the e-brake pedal would bottom out a couple inches off the
driver's floorboard.

If you have to replace the shoes, take off the wheel, take off the caliper,
STICK A SCREWDRIVER
THROUGH THE LITTLE PEEPHOLE IN THE ROTOR AND TIGHTEN THE STAR NUT TO RELEASE THE
E-BRAKE SHOE
TENSION, then take off the rotor to expose the e-brake shoes. If you have to
replace the brake
shoes, you might want to buy a replacement set that includes new springs as the
springs were old
and pretty brittle and I broke two of them during removal. The online stores
have shoe 'n'
springs sets combined for ~$35 + shipping.

Good luck with your TD, I think I turned off the turbo when I adjusted the
throttle linkage. Do
you know anything about how the turbo operates?

Old 06-28-2006, 12:52 AM

I live in Mass and yes, some stations are tough on inspections. But I found a station in Westfield, Ma that is more tolerent and doesn't charge you $5.00 for a $.79 bulb. If you live out here in the west I will send you the name. Ever sinced Ma went to CAFE standards, more and more cars are biting the dust. I saw a State Inspection Station in Greenfield, Ma a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know such things existed in Ma, I called a good friend who is supt of School in Greenfield, He told me that not enough stations signed up when CAFE went in and didn't want to spend the $100K plus for the new equipment. So the state put up there own. That one must be hell to go thru. Knowing the MV cops arer frustrated police wanna be's in this state?
ORIGINAL: duxdevil

I just got an 84 300 turbo diesel sedan and tried the ebrake/parking brake. It pushes down fine, makes the clicking/ratcheting noise we're all used to. There is very little resistance to this and it very easy to put down. However the E brake wont hold the car for squat. Not in neutral on a handicapped ramp. it holds nothing!

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong with it? What might need to be replaced/where?

I am thinking that the cord may need to be tightened, then again I am not even sure if it is there in the first place. I also dont know how to access it to tighten it, however plan on figuring this out. Next step I think is inspecting the shoes I believe theyre called on the axel. They may need replacment, however Im not really sure.

I need a working E brake to pass MA state inspection. If someoen out there can help me figure this out Id really appreciate it. thanks.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:53 AM

MV- Martha's Vineyard?

CAFE- ????

hahaha thats really funny that you mentioned hte place in westfield b/c the guy i bought the car off of, after i noticed the ebrake issue said that his buddy has a station in westfield and said to give him a ring and that he will hook me up with it. i forget the name but the # is still in my cell fone (i progrmaed it but havent gone or called yet- 781 245 9835 is the number. are we talkin bout the same place? im gonna try to get a stiker for my taurus too. what was that u sid about the police?

and what were u saying about a bulb? that for safety check?

Old 06-30-2006, 11:15 PM

what kind of e-brake system? my 300 cd is shoe in hat(the e-brakes are like drum brakes inside the "hat" of the rear discs). a simple adjustment might be all thats needed. should you need the hardware express auto parts has the parts. their an online company and they have treated me well.

Free Shipping on Orders Over $50.00 - 48 States Only
Product Brand List Price Core

Parking Brake Shoe Set
N5001-25683
In Stock Pagid $58.00 $41.15

hope this helps

Old 07-01-2006, 01:30 AM

I have a feeling that its gona need a new ebrake system rebuild. One problem wiht these cars is that hte e brake cable and joint is completely exposed and unprotected under the car. I looked under it yesterday and noticed htat the tightening bolt is all rusted up and the whole complex ther eis rusted, along with the initial cable....

o well, about $100 in parts will do it i geuss.