General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

speedo failure/abs,brake and brake wearl lites

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Default speedo failure/abs,brake and brake wearl lites

I have a 96 C220. Two days ago the speedometer failed to work and the ABS, brake wear, and (parking) brake lite turned on. The odometer does not work but other gauges such as fuel, tachometer all work. The car still operates but it also stalls when coming to a stop. A OBS2 would not recognize the car with no signal or connection phrase. I need help since my mechcanic has no clue. tryfunke

Old 10-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Default RE: speedo failure/abs,brake and brake wearl lites

Hi tryfunke, I've got a E290 TD with the same problem. When I downloaded the failures, it appeared problems with the ECU. Now, I am going to check if I can re-programe it or it's an internal failure and then have to change it for a new one.
I would hope sleewalker would give us a hand as he is the expert around here from what I've noticed.
Cheers, Krueger...

Old 10-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

the vehicle speed sensor needs to be checked first.

the front left wheel speed sensor is the main one that sends signal to the control units.

test the resistance in OHM. it should be that same as in the right side.

or if without the aid of multi tester, swap the left and right sensor, disconnect the battery to reset the fault (have the radio code ready), and test drive.

check the fuses.

if this is done, come back here.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:51 PM

thanks for getting back to me. Sorry, but what does the speed sensor look like and how (what tools) do I get to it. Excuse the new post for 10-14-04. I could not find this older post iuntil today. Someone said chech the instrument cluster. How does that come out of the dash? Of course, I will check the sensors first. tryfunke

Old 10-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

can please give me your VIN number?

i want to know if your car uses cable or electric signal for speed.

i never touch old models for more than 10 years now.

Old 10-17-2004, 03:50 PM

the vin is wdbha22e9tf335938. I've had some computer issues. Please stay in touch. I've checked the engine to body ground which is OK I need the get a torx driver to get to the abs. What size? t

Old 10-17-2004, 09:24 PM

Where is the abs sensor on the diff. There is a leak back there? tryfunke

Old 10-17-2004, 09:28 PM

Checked left front abs. 1000 ohm for sensor. need a torx 40 or t-40 to get out sensor. cleaned sensor. It made no difference. Yes, I did nit take out the right sensor but the wires are intact and the dash lite that remain "on" does not flicker or go out with any manipulation of the wires.
Where is the differential abs sensor and how do I get it out? I removed the gas filter cover and saw a insulated wire going into the differential near that cover I removed. I tryed to take this piece out but it would not come out (sensor?). Interestingly, there is differential oil in this area. leaking diff? the hex shaped plug on the diff are as follows: The filler plug (higher plug) is on the drivers side for the diff. The drain plug (lower plug) is on the passenger side. Is this correct? Any recommendations? tryfunke

Old 10-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

little leak is acceptable.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/FFC9D1C633684E3F9CE162160E7DB372.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-17-2004, 11:29 PM

Thanks Sleepwalker. That was the the little devil that would not come out. the rear sensor cost around 150.00 dollars. can I check the ohms on it without taking it out? 1000 ohms is OK right? Still it won't come out easily. Suggestion? Can it be cleaned and put back in? Should I buy a new one before I take this one out? Want about refilling the diff? Size of Hex? Fill on high side? Or drain first? thanks tryfunke

Quick Reply: speedo failure/abs,brake and brake wearl lites