Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Will you do anyting different because of the price of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Default RE: Will you do anything different because of the price of gas?

At least not yet and not until they come out with a car that is not some small death trap that's good on gas, that has a design like someone at least put a slightest thought into it, quiet interior, nice smooth ride,... ah forget it. When they come out with a car like a Mercedes, BMW or at least Cadillac that gets somewhere near Pius mileage, then I will change.
Good points.

I don't know if its the warmer weather or because I'm changing my driving style a little, but I'm getting 23-24mpg around town now with my 2.8 litre V6. I do almost no hyw driving, but have to think it will be around 30mpg. So, yea, untill they do a lot better than that and in a car I want to drive, I agree with you 100%.

BTW, Why SUVS weren't the first hybrids is beyond me. Many compact cars with small 4's are already able to get above 30mpg.
Plus, if they would start to build more more refineries in the US, drill in an environmentally friendly way in Alaska, and start building nuclear power plants again in the US, we could lower prices and become less dependent on foreign oil.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yep

Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RockSolid

BTW, Why SUVS weren't the first hybrids is beyond me.
I think they chose small cars to leave room for improvement. Small tin boxes are cheaper to build and after all, they are experimental in nature. The car companies were gambling on public acceptance. I agree though, more and more choices for the consumer would sell more cars. What if the new Dodge challenger was a hybrid? Nice looking and 40+ mpg? I'm there!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:22 PM

The hybrid engines don't have enough power for use in an SUV, yet. Not AND get good mileage AND be affordable, anyway. Sure, they'd do okay on a flat road maybe, but what happens on a hill? You'd get a running start and make it halfway up where I go fishing, then start rolling backwards and die.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm still crossing my fingers that Hydrogen will work.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

I takes more energy to release the hydrogen so until we figure out a better way to release it it will be too expensive. Plus the best way to get hydrogen is using fossil fuels.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

I think if more states legalized ATV's for on road use that would cut down on gas use cause i can go for hours on my Bayou 250 and only use 1\2 tank of gas which is about gallon and a half. Its already legal in WV just have to wear a helmet and have a driver's license and not go on highways. Seems like an idea to me.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:20 AM

Too many people would die. By the time you made them "roadworthy" and modified them to meet safety requirements, you'd have a Honda Civic. If you didn't do all that, too many people would die.

... not to mention the pollution those things produce.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:37 AM

A few forcasters are saying oil prices will soonv bust and within 12 months we'll see $40 a barrel.
You believe it?

Old 04-27-2006, 10:58 AM

Some to most of it. There are talking heads all over the place and each has an opinion. All I know is that the US economy doesn't support artificially high prices for very long. When demand falls even slightly, the corporations get greedy and they lower prices somehow in order to raise demand. There's room, believe it or not, to increase production and supplies of gas. That process has begun and prices should come down because of it. However, the high-consumption, high-priced summer months are upon us, so the effects may cancel each other out.

Quick Reply: Will you do anyting different because of the price of gas?