Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Will you do anyting different because of the price of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Default RE: Will you do anyting different because of the price of gas?

I want to help everybody, but I don't know how to handle it.
Well, when ever I become overwelmed by the dire straights of so many in the world, I try to remember what the late Mother Theresa said, " In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love."

Old 04-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe its just the East coast? A few years ago I had a hotrod Cobra with a 5.8L and loud side pipes etc. Someone had stuck a sticker on my windsheild at the grocery store, which said, "Think Green". That's all it said. I interpreted it as, "I'm a radical environmentalist, and you should be more fuel effecient, or something bad is going to happen to this car." ok

It took a long time to scrape that sticker off. Man that thing really stuck, Thank goodness they didn't stick it to the paint. Everybody hated that car, the neighbors, the kids, the police, the environmentalists,and the rice burners. I was the only one who appreciated it, but I got so much grief, I couldn't enjoy it. And the Ford club, good grief, all they do is cut down each others cars ALL the time. The only time I enjoyed it, was when I was alone with it in the garage. I'm glad I sold it.

Charles

Old 04-23-2006, 01:31 PM

My point is I'm a MB owner, but it is becoming uncomfortable for me to drive these cars around
Why, exactly? By driving your car around, are you taking food out of their mouths? It's not exactly like we're in the desert and you're sitting there with gallons of water while everyone else is unable to get any. Like mbz300sdl alluded to in his post, when people can help themselves, I think we help them best by encouraging them to help themselves

Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Rock solid, Thank you.

I do want to do something. It will have to be small. I can't counteweight the actions of the government, or the world economy, that's for sure. I'm just saying that ALL of you in this forum need to be prepared for political criticism/fallout. You will filling up at gas stations, cars which are viewed expensive, next to folks who are losing their homes. And the feeling of that sucks. You'll see.

C.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

What is that German word, for which there is no English translation which describes the slight good feeling you have when you see someone else fail? I can't remember the word, but it was politically controversial a few years ago. Whatever it is, I don't feel it.

Taking food out of their mouths.. No I don't feel that way. I guess I feel guilt. Why, I don't know. I just feel sad.

C,.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:23 PM

When they get rid of NASCAR in the South, I'll worry about wasting gas myself.

Georgia used to have the lowest gas prices in the nation prior to Hurricane Katrina. Then the prices recovered somewhat when the pipelines were reopened, but now the prices are zooming up again. It's a culture shock.

It "only" costs about $3 per gallon here for premium. I wonder how many people in California feel like you do when they fill up their Ferraris, Hummers, and Bentleys? Maybe they're dropping $100 bills for the "poor"?

If you can't stand the guilt of filling up, just put $20 per station in the tank and go to as many stations as it takes to fill the tank. Then you can say to the hecklers that they're spending more on gas than you are.

I think I'll take my Chevelle for a romp today. It's a nice cool day down here. The Chevelle loves this dense air.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Charles is right about people making comments about social class when i was in high school a teacher had the nerve to say to another student about me that well his parents bought him a Mercedes while i was in the CLASS and the teacher hated me because of it and when i drive back roads i do make sure i dont take one of the Benzes cause the people that live on the back roads give u this evil stare when u drive by. Another story in high school u had to have parking permits to park but there were about 10 spaces that did not need them but u had to get there early in order to get one. And one day a parent was there and said out of nowhere do u think u better cause u drive a Mercedes. This was a grown Adult women in her 40s i'd say "attacking" a 16 yo for the type of car he drives. And think about it this was a 1986 300SDL and the year was 2001 that hood star means so much in the minds of people the actual cost of the car doesn't matter. So, Lugnut i didn't fall for anything cause it has happened to me.

Charles-i know the world ur talking about but i cant remember how to spell it.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Lugnut,

watch out for those sticker sticking environmentalists.

The original post, "will I do anything different," and the event at the gas station combined to set something off.

I spent alot of time learning the German way, the Japanese way, the American way, the way of the Caribbean, the way of the Equitorial Indians etc, and foriegn language, and have seen alot of strange crap, but now that i'm here again, I don't really understand this culture. I'm suffering from major culture shock right now. Even though I was born here, I've obviously been gone so long that the cuture has changed, and I don't understand what is going on. What the construction guy said was actually a value judgement, and that set off questions that I don't have the answers to.

If, by the definition of Mercedes as defined in the history section of this very forum, is a car built for royalty, how did a loser like me, end up with four?

Does Nardeli think that anyone who earns less than 30 mil per year is "poor"

Mbz300 had mentioned that the guy probably f'd off in school and spent his money on alcohol, when that actually describes me.

Am I happier living in this town driving cars in the city, or was I happier living in the jungle. long story.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:54 PM

I feel sorry for you both (BlueSilver and mbz300sdl). I just don't know which one deserves more pity. You both worry about the wrong things. I never get the feelings you two describe when I drive any of my cars around. You must have some nasty-assed neighbors. Maybe that's the problem? It's not your cars, it's your neighbors and your desire to "fit in" with them.

Gotta keep an eye on those Greenies, I agree.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I apologize for bringing up such an ugly subject.
I'm not very comfortable around people.

C

Quick Reply: Will you do anyting different because of the price of gas?