Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Too much regulation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Default Too much regulation?

I found this A.P. story surfing around:

"PALM BEACH, Florida— Donald Trump is suing this oceanside town for $10 million after being cited for flying an oversized U.S. flag over his Mar-a-Lago Club.
Attorneys for the club filed a complaint Thursday, saying that flying the flag is a constitutionally protected expression of free speech — and that the large flag is a proper match for the size of the real-estate mogul's patriotism.
Town officials said Trump violated zoning codes when the lavish club hoisted a 15-by-25-foot flag atop an 80-foot pole on Oct. 3. The citation was for having a flagpole taller than 42 feet, for not obtaining a building permit and for not getting permission from the landmarks board."

It seems we need permission for everything these days.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Too much regulation?

I am not saying the laws are right and i wish it was not on the Books however somehow it is [sm=smiley21.gif]so just because he is who he is should not get him around it.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:36 PM

Besides the fact its an emotional issue, being an American Flag, zoning laws are nothing new.
Lucky he doesn't live in a condominium. Condominium regs. don't let you do anything that isn't approved.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:32 PM

I'm not a flag waver, That is,it seems to me, if we own one,it's our right to burnit, wear as clothes, or if it's in proportion to the house, hotel or any other place of business,fly in the front yard, or whateverelse we wish to do with it.In this case it seems Trump simply wants to display a flag that's proportional to his very large resort, and maybe in the processcall more attention to himself.

Win lose or draw, the Donald comes out on top...After all, standing up to a cliqishsmall town government who's old family rich patrons areagainst flying large flags is probably very good publicity... And hey, if you've ever seen one of those huge beauties a waving in the breeze, in bad taste or not, surely you've gotta admit, it's a thing to behold.
So, eventhough I'm farfrom beingaTrump fan, I tend to agree withhim on this one. It seems Palm Beach doesn't always enforce the zoning laws. That is, if you come from an oldmoneyed familyyou make the rules and none apply to you... Since Trump is gaudy, loud and neuvo riche, like JoeSixpack,he's got to follow the old moneyrules....ergo, under the banner ofTrump the downtrodden... his lawyers believe they've got a case...

Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

As far as "old-money" goes its like in Europe in the late 1700s and 1800s royality and noblity had control even if they didnt have the money. Blood was the power holder of the time.