Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

guess

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004 | 11:17 AM
Default RE: guess

That E-call and Tele-Aid are old stuff. Nothing new. OnStar is even put into Chevrolet pickup trucks. But, communications are not done through the GPS system. GPS is a location system not a communication system. A cell phone is used to call for help after an airbag deploys or to talk to the "traffic center." It forwards your GPS coordinates when it calls. If you crack up outside of a phone cell you're out of luck, even if you have a secret spare GPS antenna in the rear bumper.

Civilian GPS is accurate to within 2-3 meters, I believe. I'm not sure why MB would settle for 100-meter resolution. Onstar can give me realtime turn-by-turn directions to a restaurant. That can't be done with only 100-meter resolution.

Furthermore, the entire GPS system is not always available. Accuracy can suffer as a result.

The US military can commandeer satellites if there is a need.

If you're within a city, coverage will be sporadic because GPS signals don't travel through things (like brick, mortar, metal, or people) and they don't "bounce." The WAAS can add to GPS accuracy within a city but is not available away from population centers. The WAAS triangulates the GPS signal with a ground-based station whose coordinates are known and fixed.

If driving through the mountains, coverage is sporadic due to nearby hills or mountains, canyon walls, trees, and winding roads that constantly expose you to different sectors of the sky. You can lose a GPS signal when the sky is clearly visible to your eyes.

You may be joking about the slapping steering wheel, but I'm not. There should be a "slap" button in the back seat of every taxicab.

Old 07-24-2004 | 12:43 PM
|
Super Moderator

yes, you're right. the cellphone sends the SOS

i want to get one of this handy GPS, and get familiar with these stuff.

in your area i think there are at least 5 satellite minimum available at any given time.

Old 08-03-2004 | 05:20 AM

Hi Sleepy,
Looks like two sticks that the passenger can help as well ;-)

Old 08-03-2004 | 11:47 AM
|
Super Moderator

yeah, ideal for driving school. the passenger can take over while the driver drink coffee.

Old 08-03-2004 | 07:40 PM

This is a car that needs that bitch-slap steering wheel. Er, without the steering wheel, that is.