Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

BMW Coupe that aren't made by BMW's designers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Default BMW Coupe that aren't made by BMW's designers!

Let me show you some pictures of my design work (hobby). Now, the models are all a couple of years old. I've designed the three "vehicles" at my sparetime or on vacations.

Just take a look:

My sportscar from 1999:

My helicopter from 2000:

My "BMW" from 2002:

Old 09-15-2004, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: BMW Coupe that aren't made by BMW's designers!

excellent creativity lutz!

the sports car seems not to be a little space wise. the cabin need to get more from the outer profile.

the bmw is not far from a combination of E65 and E66. have you ever tried sending it to them? the gills should be much lower.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:55 AM

Thank you very much, Sleepwalker!
The most on the models you recognized are intended to be like that. It's a matter of taste or about making differences to other cars (being not too similar).
Trust me, it makes no sense to send the images to a major carmaker. (It's wasted postage - for many reasons)

Old 09-15-2004, 11:17 AM

Nice work. But, maybe they aren't radical enough for a carmaker as far as just looks? Carmakers probably get thousands of submissions like yours.

Concept cars should test a concept. What concepts are you testing? What makes your concepts stand out from the all the others? Why would they be important for the carmaker to incorporate into their fleet? Why would a customer have to have it?

The sports car looks too small to carry a conventional engine (mid engine?). Maybe that could be the concept. A new engine design or implementation, or rear suspension that accomodates the thinner, lower look from the cockpit rearward, or something. The BMW looks too familiar, not like a visual concept. There must be something new under the skin? What?

Have you tried toymakers, like Mattel? I'm serious. I bet they employ many more highly-educated and experienced vehicle designers than you can imagine. And Hot Wheels don't have to obey the laws of physics. They're just visual. Sounds like fun to me.

How about making a calendar and publishing it yourself? Get some food money for the interim, ya know, while you knock down those other doors.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Nice work. But, maybe they aren't radical enough for a carmaker as far as just looks?
Thanks for your compliment! Yes, they could be more radical or a lot more radical, but neither I'm doing rocket science nor being a carmaker.

Carmakers probably get thousands of submissions like yours.
Yes, they probably get thousands of submissions of the huge herd of transportation designers of the world, but nothing like mine. BTW, I only made two submissions (two naiv single letters in 2001), that's all. I'm no more focussed to get employed or whatever in a major company. I also using a very different technique for design, trust me that can't match together.

Concept cars should test a concept. What concepts are you testing?
I call a model a concept because I choose to call it a concept, that's it. I use CATIA V5, a CAD/CAM program for digital concepts, digital mock-ups ready for rapid prototyping, If you want to know what I'm testing, I'm testing possibilities (i.e. can I design an entire vehicle from the head into the computer, how much time do I use to blend the surfaces, can I use a specific software for it., testing variations before it is physical, making assemblies for exchange etc.)

What makes your concepts stand out from the all the others?
Why you're choosing a specific music between all the others? It's a matter of taste. My design work is detailed also. Additionally it's engineering and ClassA surfacing together, a hybride design possibility, provided by the software and used by the user.

Why would they be important for the carmaker to incorporate into their fleet? Why would a customer have to have it?
You're talking about market research. Market research is dealing with Soft Facts for ages. A car maker/manufacturer would incorporate models with a specific designs/styling into a fleet, because many customers would have to have it. It also depends on marketing and public relations. My models aren't intended to be incorporated into any fleet, it would be just naiv of thinking about. Why? First, my previous models just been a test of possibilities (hobby work yet, not professional). Second, the design is still not satisfying enough for my taste! Neither I'm tasteless nor stupid.

The sports car looks too small to carry a conventional engine (mid engine?). Maybe that could be the concept. A new engine design or implementation, or rear suspension that accomodates the thinner, lower look from the cockpit rearward, or something.
Yes, I agree. This sportscar is a good example when a bartender/owner (me) starts learning to use a computer, starts learning to use a Gamma release of a CAD/CAM software by himself during finishing a completely new car design (2.129 parts) under extreme time pressure interrupted with about 140 computer crashes. There's in deed much to enhance. Trust me, I know all the weaknesses of the car. It was my decision leave it as it is. (data were accidently deleted by early software release changes etc.)

The BMW looks too familiar, not like a visual concept. There must be something new under the skin?
A Mr. Lugnot isn't representing the majority of car buyers. You argue like a jealous kid, Bubba. Just take a look to any motor show, you will be surprised what esteemed carmakers calling a "concept". Everything, that's not a production car could be called a concept, that's a sad fact - with growing tendence.

What?
retractable front spoiler, DTM exhaust, retractable side skirts, retractable rear radiator etc. etc.

Have you tried toymakers, like Mattel? I'm serious.
I know what you mean, but this business works via brand merchandising, that will come...

I bet they employ many more highly-educated and experienced vehicle designers than you can imagine. And Hot Wheels don't have to obey the laws of physics. They're just visual. Sounds like fun to me.
I don't want to be employed by anyone. To obey the laws of physics is also used in the motion picture industry. A friend of mine (a well educated car designer) is making cars/vehicles for Hollywood movies and you're right with that. I have my own (non-typical) goal. I only have fun when I'm the overall director. Please excuse my modesty.

How about making a calendar and publishing it yourself? Get some food money for the interim, ya know, while you knock down those other doors.
Your proposals are brilliant (seriously), but you would need a certain brake even of fame or a partner with such a potential to execute that successful - without prerequisites like that it would be a larger problem, a no-go. My experiments are over, so I have to go step by step.

Thanks for your comment!

Old 09-15-2004, 10:39 PM

Whatever.