New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Master Tech here to assist

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Default Master Tech here to assist

I just signed up... for two reasons.

1. If there are any questions that I can help with on here it will help both you with what ever problem with your car, and me stay sharp with work.

2. To make new contacts in the Mercedes world.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 PM

Welcome. I've got 2 friends in the San Diego, Hollywood area that work for Benz.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:13 PM

Cool, I started in Beverly Hills. Very happy now here in San Diego.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 PM

good luck there. from what I hear there are so many dealerships so close by to each other and so many techs theres not enough work to go around? almost all warranty work and a ton of buy backs from Benz. He had like 40 techs at his shop and was always out of work. making like 20 hours per week...hope that works out for you! Benz is cutting back labor times so much its hard to make money anymore.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have 2 Mercedes, 2004 ML350 and a 2005 E500. Maybe you can help me diagnose a problem that I am having with my sound system in my ML350 It has the navigation system and the 6 CD changer in back. Recently the sound system started making a popping sound and cutting out. Sometimes intermittently and then it would go completely silent except for the popping noise. Then later after turning the car off and then back on again it would work for a little bit and then start popping again. The navigation stiill works fine and the interface works switching back and forth between each function. Also the popping noise continues even when the system is shut off. The only way that I stopped it from popping was to disconnect the smaller top plug of the 2 sets of wires that plug into the back. I have inspected the plugs to see if there are any loose wires but they all look good. I also pulled out the amplifier and checked the plug on that also but they look OK. I am at a loss now as to where the problem is. I was thinking the amp was bad since the noise continued even though the unit was unplugged. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by tjprescott; 11-17-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 PM

tjprescott
There is no quick diagnosis here. From what I have seen in the past, the fiber optic cables that the telematics system (audio/nav) communicate on can cause a popping noise. If the cables are too far out of their connectors so the light is not propperly transfered, or if ther bend in the cables is too great it could cause this problem. Let me know how comfortable you are with fiber optics and I can help you from there.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 PM

Rocket99
I don't know off the top of my head how many teeth there are on the IP gear, but assuming that there are 40, the same as the cam. Then turning it counter clockwise 4 teeth should get it to line back up, in theory as long as its position stayed relative to the cam. But I don't know if you can slack the chain off enough to turn it. I will try and check tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Default 1980 450 sl

Hello Ian,

I have a 1980 450SL which I love dearly..
It starts easily within a few seconds from cold.
Problem I have is that after driving it, if left for a while and the engine is still hot, it takes a long time to crank and start back up. When it starts from hot, its very lumpy for about 30 seconds before it smoothes out. If I switch it of and crank it without any delay when hot, it starts immediately..
I have changed the Fuel accumulator, and this did not cure the problem.

Any ideas on what to check next would be greatly appreciated.. MARTY.

Martykelly2@gmail.com

Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Default Hi Ian--Please help with information/600sel

Hi Ian;
I have a low mileage '92 600sel. I don't have any diagnostic tools yet but as I live nowhere near any qualified M/B Techs, I need to know where to start with getting the right 'starters' diagnostic tools. My Check Engine light is lit after cross country trip and I've lost power and have a rough idle.
I want to work on this car myself and not bring it in to a shop where there's no experience working on these cars.
Any advice on where to start with diagnostic tools for the not very advanced M/B mechanic owners please ?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 AM

Hi Iam

Im i617gem
I have been reading different post concerning the starting problems with a ML320. My car 2001 has never given me any proplems until about 5 months ago it would not start. I turn the key and it would just click, the dash lights would come on and nothing. After trying different things. turning the ignition on and off, pushing the remote on and off it finally started. Then last night the same thing it would not start. The dash board mileage read error or start and then the mileage would go back to the reading of mileage 171,000. I first disconnected the battery, after, it would not start. I then got a jump and it started right away. I put the battery on a charger over night just incase it was. But I dont think it is the battery. Two days later and it's still running with no problems so far, any suggestions thanks

Last edited by i617gem; 12-01-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Master Tech here to assist