New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

A Dream or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007 | 09:47 PM
Default A Dream or Not?

I am presently looking at my first MB, possibly a 2000 E-Class 3.2 that I have found via the web. Everything looks great, including the price, but I have one major concern. I drive 800 miles a week just to work and back home. All but a very few of these miles are highway miles with almost no stop and go driving. I see posts here and on other forums that praise the reliability of the Benz and others that cause me great concern that my dream vehicle might spend more time in the shop than under me. I would hate to finally, at my age, realize a long term goal of owning a Benz only to have it spend more time in the shop than doing what I purchased it to do.

Can anyone provide some comfort that an E-Class would be a good choice for this kind of driving? Is there a better model/year that is less likely to require heavy maintenance? I have seen a couple of early 90's diesels that look great with low mileage but I get more confused the more I look! Any help in the way of suggestions would be very welcome.

CDavidson

Old 08-04-2007 | 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A Dream or Not?

The E-Class really is a very reliable vehicle and the quality is definately worth the price. The only concernI seewould be possible electrical problems. I would recommend it though, most owner reviews look great.Definately getall the service documents the seller has and check if there have been repeat electrical problems. How many miles are on it?

Reviews:
http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-...393D8AC3-prod5

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedesbenz/...merreview.html

early 90's diesels that look great with low mileage

Diesels are the way to go. Besides having better reliability they're going to offer more low-end torque and cost less at the pump. When buying one, definately check out the link below. There are a few models you need to avoid. And when buying one, be cautious. Drive it around at high speeds and also leave it idle afterwards for some time while checking the temperature gauge. Some people will sell diesels because they'll overheat at some point and they don't feel like shelling out money to have it fixed. Hope that helps.

Models to avoid:
https://mercedesforum.com/m_64075/tm.htm

Old 08-05-2007 | 09:14 AM
Default RE: A Dream or Not?

AMG, thanks for the reply! Being a new member on this forum, I am glad to get the information. Let me answer your question and update you on where we are. Looks like we are a couple of hours from confirming the purchase of a 2000 E-320 with 73,000 miles. Looks to be a real "cream puff" inside and out. I appreciate your pointer on the electrical issues and getting all available maintenance records. It is very exciting to be this close to realizing a long time dream and I look forward to some great driving soon.

If you have any additional comments based on the model/year we are looking at, for sure pass them along!

Thanks again.
cdavid46