Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

found a dream?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Default found a dream?

found a 1980 240d non turbo MT for $800. not in the best cosmetic shape, but everything is there and most of it works. found some service tickets in the glovebox to tell me that it has recently had the gp's, brake lines, and tie-rod ends replaced. runs perfect, drives very nicely, much quicker than the AT version of these cars, and shifts really nice.

only real problems ive found are that the clutch is slipping just a bit (the tranny still meshes well enough for clutch free shifting through all upshifts except stop to 1st/reverse). i would say it has 15k miles left in it if im nice to it. the other thing is that the engine will not shut off. even the fuel isolation under the hood does not work, it has to be stalled with the tranny.

wanted to know what the other common problems are with these cars and what the likely problem is with the fuel isolation. clutch is no problem for me, i am very handy with a wrench, and dont mind working on a car, just dont want to get into a raw deal on this one.

Thanks,
Alex