New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

300CD Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Default 300CD Climate Control

Help, 1984 300CD Turbo. I Want to drive the coupe, but January in MD can be cold. Last year I replaced theclimate control valve (all was well)on the firewall. Now I haveno voltage, at the valve, in a/c, heat, and auto. Is this the climate control valve. Have checked all fuses. Coolant good, all other operations are normal. This was my dad's every day car, and I would really like to get it right. Thanx, GEO

Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Default RE: 300CD Climate Control

howdy,

I have an '82 300CDT. I don't know if the climate controls are the same or not, but I suspect they may be. What I did on mine was pop the face plate off the center console, remove the 5-6 screws and take out the control module. After unsnapping the peripheral controls (the wheel and the fan switch) you can unsnap the cover for the control module itself. This is a fairly low-tech device and is your basic solid state bread board with printed circuitry and some relays and whatnot that make up the controls. A quick visual inspection will reveal any broken connections that can be soldered over. I had three that required it and that fixed all my problems (as well as replacing the valve innards on the firewall - broken diaphragm). Just be sure not to solder them to any other pathways. When I put mine back together, I also used a small sharp pick to push the female ends of the electrical connections in on themselves a little so they would make a tight connection when I put it all back together. If worse comes to worse, you could probably replace the whole module if you had to. I don't know what a new one would cost. Do you have any other indications that there is something faulty with it? Do the different fan controls and switches work?

Your other possibility is a faulty temperature probe under the dash. I have not replaced mine, but you can google the job and instructions will come up.

I hope this helps.

Matt