Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Please help New SLK will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Default Please help New SLK will not start

I have a problem with a 1999 SLK 230 I just purchased. I had it picked up by DAS in Alabama. It was running fine. DAS broke the key in the ignition and once that occured, they could not get the car to start. They try to turnover it with a pair of plyers, but it just backfires. They flatbedded the car to my house and the electrical seems screwed up. some of the lights stay on even when shut off. I put a new battery in as it was pinning on the meter. When I try to start the car with just the key in the ignition but the button off, the car just tries to start then backfires. Can anyone help I am sick over this. I feel like I got ripped off.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Default RE: Please help New SLK will not start

Quote:
........some of the lights stay on even when shut off. I put a new battery in as it was pinning on the meter. When I try to start the car with just the key in the ignition but the button off, the car just tries to start then backfires. Can anyone help I am sick over this. I feel like I got ripped off.

They try to turnover it with a pair of plyers, but it just backfires?
Which lights stay on?
"pinning on the meter? I don't understand.
When I try to start with just the key but the button off....What else could you do than use the key? I don't understand. ..button off. Which button?

I assume you only have the one key (broken). Correct?

Please try to add a little more clarity to the problem.

Keys and security on MB's can be problematic. The system is far more complicated than just an on/off switch.

I suspect the bottom line is that you will need to get the vehicle to your local MB dealer so that they can provide you with a new key, ensure the EIS (Ignition switch) is OK and if not access DTC's diagnostic codes to determine what else could be wrong.

Without a clearer picture of exactly what happened (and why) I don't think I can add much more.

Need to get your transport company to accept liability. I assume they drove the car onto the truck in the first place with everything working OK?

Stuart

Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Default 2006 Mercedes Slk 280

Hello, Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the front side marker lamp bulb?