Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Pinhole coolant leak, blower or evaporator prob?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Default Pinhole coolant leak, blower or evaporator prob?

Thanks in advance for any advice... These issues related to my 98 SLK (30k miles).

Here are my symptoms:
1) Wet floormat on passenger side
2) aircon/heater blower does not "work" (no blowing takes place

I had previously experienced condensation on windshield when heat/defroster is turned on (when the blower was working).

I understand that the condensation is indicative of a pinhole coolant leak. I've also heard that if your coolant level gets too low, the fan could stop working (I don't understand this part)?

The wet floormat seems like it might just be water. When I squeeze drips into my porcelain sink (i.e. white) they are clear, don't particularly smell and "feel" like water. The wildcard here is we had a big storm a week ago and the passenger side window leaked water inside the car.

I am going to take this to a local shop to have them look at the car. I had the system flushed by the dealer last March.

Questions:
1) Agggh (now I feel better)
2) How can I check the coolant level? The overflow is black, I can't see any fluid in either the overflow or the main fluid entry valve over the radiator and the manual is no help at all
3) Should I try to add distilled water or a 50% water 50% antifreeze mix in case my fluid has dropped to a very low level? Not sure if Mercedes requires wierd bavarian coolant of some sort.

That should get me to a dealership which leads me to my final question:
4) Any guesses on what I might be facing here?

I am hoping to get this to the dealer asap so thanks again,

Aron