Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Newbie with odd question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Default Newbie with odd question.

Hi folks,

Been lurking here for a few months now digesting information to help with the odd foible my mothers '99 230SLK has thrown at me.

Went out this morning to check the car over as not used for a couple of weeks and has been mighty damn cold here in the UK and noticed something amiss.

Now not even sure what it is but sure you guys can help. In the bumper under the headlights there is a square'ish section which I now know folds down. As you look at the front of the car the RHS one is sticking out. It was not like this yesterday i am sure, nor the day before. I pulled it down (moved freely) and can see what looks like some washer mechanism in the bumper body. Won't move and can't get the 'flap' back into place.

Can anyone tell me exactly what it is and what might the problem? Also, had no luck sourcing a good technical manual for the car yet, so also any help in where to purchase one be a help.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Default RE: Newbie with odd question.

headlamp washers. sounds like you might need to activate them via the switch in the car. it should just go back down when your threw washing the headlights. or try to push it in or down into the bumper since sometimes like on the S class cars when you operate them they fly out of the car.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 AM

Well...problem solved. Figured out it was the headlight washers after having a proper look around (sheepish look).

My question now is, when I went out to the car again the flap was closed properly.

Now, it was hellishly cold last night, so would extreme cold cause it to open slightly?

Problem solved I guess but still none the wiser as to why it was open in first place?

Edit: TRhanks Chassis, just seen your post. Tried to force back in at first and it wasn't having it so left it as didn't want to cause any damage, but they can 'fly out'? Sounds interesting lol. Thanks again, will keep my eye on it for a while see if it happens again.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 AM

it should not just pop out like that at all.... unless MAYBE the water is freezing up and expanding??? but i dont even know if thats possible though.