Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

MY SLK230 WON'T START AND STALL 3X

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Default MY SLK230 WON'T START AND STALL 3X

HI, First of all I'd like to say hi to every one since I am new to this forum. I was introduced by a friend to this site after I told him about my car has a problem. My SLK 230 1999 won't start 2x and stall 1x. I am a weekend driver. Last month I was on vacation for 10 days without using my car. After I got back then started my car and drove for 15min. Stop by a friend house for 10min then came out and try to start but it wouldn't start. All I heard was a fan under the hood sounding off. I did a jump start and still won't work for 15min then somehow I put the key in and try to turn it. Somehow it started again. The weekend after that it happened the same thing again. I call 1800 MB roadside assistance, he couldn't figure out the problem. He checked the battery and it was still fine. Again, somehow we try to put the key in the starter and tried again and it worked. The third weekend happend while I drove for about 10min after getting it out of my garage then it stalled in the middle of the street (engine shut down) after I stopped at the traffic light. I restarted and it worked again. I brought it to my local mechanic try to show and tell him the problem but it didn't happen. This past 2 weekends it was fine so far. I wonder what could have happened. Any of you out there know the problem. Please let me know. Thanks a millions. FYI that I don't know much about car, I did try to open the airfilter and cleaned it. I think I might need to replace with the new air filter. But I don't think the air filter caused the car to stall and won't start when I turn the key. Oh, also all the lights in the dashboard was fine as usual. I read the forum some of you think it could be the starter, k 40 relay, alternator...? or something else.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Default RE: MY SLK230 WON'T START AND STALL 3X

Maybe either K40 relay board has a dry soldered joint or the Crank Pos Sensor is faulty.

Bazzle

Old 07-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Default RE: MY SLK230 WON'T START AND STALL 3X

Hi Bazzle! Thanks for replying. What's your suggestion of how I am going about to either find out if that's the problem (K40 dry soldered joint or CPS). Should I go to dealer and run a computer diagnostic test or wait if it stall or wont start again. Should I go look for the K40 Soldered joint and CPS. I think I know where the K40 is but the soldered joint and CPS you mention which I have no glue. Please let me know.