Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

IC Pump – Dead, Alive, or Struggling to Survive??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Default IC Pump – Dead, Alive, or Struggling to Survive??

Hello to all! I've got a 02 MB SLK 32 AMG w/38,400. I’ve owned it for 14 months. I’m having a problem, which I suspect is the IC Pump, but would appreciate your thoughts, suggestions and input. Here’s my story and what I’ve done thusfar. . . I took the car in for the Secondary Air Injection Relay Recall (2006030011) May 06. I encountered the rough idle at stops that people have complained of, etc. But, I don’t believe I noticed a decrease in power until recently. So, in doing my research, I reset the ECU this morning. Took it for a long drive. At first it felt different, but still experiencing loss of power at high traveling (freeway) speeds 50-60 mph. I would get up to those speeds, put the pedal to the floor and essentially nothing – flat/mush! I could feel the car downshift and you could hear the engine revving but it would accelerate VERY slow-- no “kick in” and/or “pulling” sensation and no hard/fast accelerating. I also took it up a steep hill 4 or 5 times. Again, sometimes it would “kick in” but others not, and then after all that hard work, it was very hard to get the car to “kick in” even at lower speeds 30-40 mph.”

However, sometimes at the freeway speeds, the car would “kick in” and boggie, as well as when I went up those steep hill grades. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I can only speculate what the problem is. Maybe my IC Pump is on its way out and sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t? I don’t know?? At lower speeds, it seems okay, except as I said above when I took it up those steep hills and really worked it, it wasn’t even getting up after that – even at 30 mph coasts.

I’ve read a lot of stuff on the forum about the recall blowing the IC pumps, that the IC Pumps are a weak link, and a few other ideas/suggestions (even as simple as changing fluids), but I’m just trying to narrow things down and get a clear understanding of what the problem may be. It seems all fingers point to the IC Pump, but maybe there’s something I’m not aware of and should consider.

In case you’re wondering, I don’t have a code puller and I’m not getting any check engine lights.

Is there a way to check/listen if the IC Pump is working or not? Suggestions, please.

I saw a thread on buying the Ford Lighting pumps for $100 versus MB for $380.00 – yeah or ney on the Lightning pump?? How do yout think anMB dealer who chargefor this repair/service?

My apologizes for the long post, but I wanted to be detailed and give everyone a good idea of the problem I’m having. Thanks for your replies and input!! [sm=devilangel.gif]

Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Default RE: IC Pump – Dead, Alive, or Struggling to Survive??

Slk32 girl

The info you need is this link

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/

Pump details at top of page

Bazzle

Old 02-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Default RE: IC Pump – Dead, Alive, or Struggling to Survive??

Thanks Bazzle, I appreciate the link. What would I do without you guys??